Thread: resaw blade suggestions for new laguna 14/12

resaw blade suggestions for new laguna 14/12

Folks:

I just purchased a Laguna 14/12 and want to buy a resaw blade. i have googled the subject and found lots of recommendations: people are very positive (or negative) about Laguna Resaw King, Lenox Woodmaster and other blades like the Woodslicer.

I'm expecting to do some resawing and a lot of general work with this saw. I'm OK with spending the extra cash for a carbide blade, I am retiring in August and plan to make a lot of sawdust, but also know I will not have a lot of discretionary cash after retirement....so I'd rather buy and cry once.

It seems for this saw i am limited to a 3/4" maximum blade width.

From checking the Lenox website this limits me to a Lenox Tri-Master.

I know that this topic is kicked around periodically, but I would like to get the best of the current wisdom from the collective.

3/4" or 1/2" for resawing?
    Lenox or Resaw King?
    Is carbide worth the extra coin?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

DOC

I tried both the RS and TriMaster on my 14" saw before I found a larger bandsaw, both in 1/2". Cut quality is about the same, as is feed rate. I never used them long enough to find out how long they last, but can tell you that a Timberwolf resaw blade will cut for about 20 minutes before dulling, and that in soft wood. I would go carbide. I liked the Trimaster better since it was less finicky about finding the exactly right tension like the RS was.

I don't know that saw specifically, but I wouldn't go wider than a 1/2" blade on a 14" saw. The Woodmaster starts at 1" wide, so not for that saw.

Carbide blades are more expensive to buy than steel, but they stay sharp for so long that they're less expensive in the long run.

Laguna offers a 3/4" Resaw King.

I too just purchased the 14|12, so I spent the last couple of days playing with it. I bought the resaw king only (for now), and I don't know about the other blades, but this thing can make paper out of maple. I have only done 6" thick redwood and 3" maple so far, and it goes through with little effort. The 3/4 blade is quite sturdy, I have seen no drift yet. Guess I will once it gets dull...