Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of Gents

A couple of Gents

Started making Gent saws recently. SO I decided to post a couple to see what folks think. The worst folks can do is throw something at the computer.
    First is a birds eye maple. 10" x 0.015" plate at 16ppi. 2nd is a more basic cherry edition with an 0.020" plate at 18ppi. 3rd is an infused curly maple handle with a 0.016" plate at 18ppi. And that's that. Thoughts always welcome as usual.
    IMG_2836.JPGIMG_2844.JPGIMG_2853.JPG

Sir I just wanted to say after hearing so many great things about you and finally seeing your work up close, those are some of, if not THE most beautiful saws I have ever seen they just flow so very well together !! thank you for showing them off they really are incredible

Now that's what I call a gents saw! Beautiful as usual Ron.

Matt

After seeing these, nothing has been thrown at my computer. There is, however, a bit of drool on my keyboard...thanks a lot!

I may end up ordering one. I was going to buy a panel saw when you started building those, but I found a used Diston on the cheap that is doing everything in the shop I need.

I would like the option of a simpler handle. Although I certainly would not kick that handle out of the saw till...

Blog Entries
    All beautiful but I really like the cherry one in the middle, I love the engraving in the handle and back - expect a future order I don't have a fine tooth gents

Ron,I like saw #3 the best,except I advise eliminating the large band of 3 humps in the handle. they are too big. One hump would be better proportioned. I like the other 2 saws as well,except for cutting off the end of the back like that,and the handle humps.

You must have gotten some kind of a roll made,to neatly roll your brand into the brass backs,and around the handle(which I think is an elegant touch! Would you mind posting a picture of it? And,by what means do you apply enough pressure to roll it into the brass? I have some beautiful knurls about 1/2" wide. Antique French ones. Must have been for gold and silver only,as it is impossible to use them in the lathe. I rigged up a holder that attaches to the overhead arm of my horizontal mill. I can run bronze or brass under it with enough pressure to make them work. But only on flat strips so far. The way gun makers roll their barrels.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-12-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Hi George. The saws have already been modified to some extent eliminating the three beads to some extent. Looked good on paper/ CAD, as they say. These are the first few, trying to decide what I like or don't like. You know me. Non traditional. The logo on the brass as well as on my saw plates are a chemical etch I do myself, the brass is darkened with "brass black" Phosphoric acid, I believe. I tried the stamp method and did not like it as well. At some point I am hoping to apply a knurl to some of the ferrules. The handles are laser engraved as I will be using those for other things, so no back logo. Just on the handle. As always, all things a work in progress. Thanks for the feed back.

Good looking saws. The custom touches are very nicely done.
    jim

Laser engraved??? You are too high tech for me!!

Beautiful work, as always Ron. I like the way you've shaped the middle saw best, but the handle of the third saw best. (Really like the sheen on the infused curly maple.)

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Beautiful work, as always Ron. I like the way you've shaped the middle saw best, but the handle of the third saw best. (Really like the sheen on the infused curly maple.)

Fred
    Thanks for the thoughts. The infusion process is something I am starting to do myself as well. Anything that will gain strength from the resin infusion. Especially figured woods that are hard to turn without tear out. So many irons in the fire, so much to learn, so little time. I may not make it to first place in the end, but what a interesting ride.

Looking mighty fine Ron!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post

Fred
    The middle saw is the most basic of the saws. I do like the acrylic resin, myself. It finishes very well. I first tried it a few years ago, then a year ago I tried to have resin infused handles made but it didn't work out. So I decided to start infusing my own. However it does tend to warp the wood Coming soon to a theater near you. Resin infused Honduran Mahogany. I'll post the results. I hope to infuse most of the figured woods in the future as it turns much better with less tear out. Needless to say it is also much tougher as well. Thanks again to all for the feed back. I do pay attn. to it.

Coming soon to a theater near you. Resin infused Honduran Mahogany.

Ron. You will have to excuse my line of question; I really don't understand why you would be selecting a handle wood as soft as Honduran Mahogany (Honduras Mahogany, American Mahogany, Genuine Mahogany, Big-Leaf Mahogany, Brazilian Mahogany) . Let alone fussing with resin infusing to increase its outer surface hardness.

Stewie;

http://tinytimbers.com/pdf/chart_janka.pdf
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-16-2016 at 9:26 PM.