Thread: Chinese HEI distributors on E-Bay

Chinese HEI distributors on E-Bay

I want to upgrade the ignition on my '55 T-Bird. I notice they now have what appear to be copies of MSD HEI distributors, which I assume are from China.

They cost less than half what the MSD system costs, and I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of them.

No hot rod, just upgrades, and I am familiar with the loadomatic issues. The car is already 12v and has an Edelbrock 600 CFM carb.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

i would beware of anything made in china that is mechanical or electronic. Just my personal bias I suppose but i got burned on some electronic gadget that came directly from china and never worked. just try and get your money back if that happens.

I purchased a motorcycle helmet to helmet communication gizmo from China and EBay. Was very cheap and got here surprisingly quick. Worked okay until it didn't after a couple weeks. Contacted the seller assuming they would just ship a replacement since it was so inexpensive. Turns out they wanted me to return the defective module so they could evaluate it to see why it failed before replacing. I could have ordered a replacement for what it would cost to ship (not to mention the time involved) so I just pitched it in the trash. So while the item you want may have a warranty collecting on it is problematic. YMMV
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Turns out they wanted me to return the defective module so they could evaluate it to see why it failed before replacing. I could have ordered a replacement for what it would cost to ship (not to mention the time involved) so I just pitched it in the trash.
    Which is about what 90% of the Chinese vendors do.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

What are you talking about.....maybe 40-45 bucks more for the genuine MSD? That's nothing.......for a '55 Thunderbird! Not sure where the MSD HEI distributor is manufactured, but I'm sure you'll get the support you need if it the part goes south.

Actually Bill,

With the wires, and coil, the MSD Ready to Run setup is over $300 more. $240 Vs $650. I bought my first '55 Bird for less than that. Did the body and paint, new upholstery, changed out the automatic for a stick, and put a hardtop on it. Sold it at a small profit for $1050.

The reason I am asking is because I suspect the module and internals might be from the same source on either unit.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Have you thought about DUI hei distributors for Ford?