Thread: Tailstock remounting tips please

Tailstock remounting tips please

My lathe (Nova DVR XP) has a short bed and I often find the tailstock in the path of the tool handle. It's easy enough to remove the tailstock but remounting is a pain in the . . . tailstock.

I've relieved the front corners of the clamp plate and that helps a little. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    RD

A bed extension will get it out of the way. Very convenient to have.
    C&C WELCOME

While you can buy a fancy one from Teknatool or Amazon, this homemade job works just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD7udmALf0Y

I have the 1624 but the tailstock looks the same.
    It took some fumbling also.
    I tape the locking rod in the upright so it doesn't flop down. I also took a marker and colored the back (visible end).
    Goes on with no monkeying around now.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I would be lost without my bed extension on my DVR-XP.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I used to fight it. Now I reach under and hold the bolt vertical to keep it from catching while I slide the tailstock on. Will that work for your lathe?

JKJ

Thanks everyone,

I think the bed extension and maybe the swing away hinge options are what I will eventually get to but the expense and even more, the space are obstacles. I've realized that I'm overdue for a floor plan change in my postage stamp shop.

John G, I forgot about this video - I saw it quite some time ago. I'm not sure this gets the tailstock out of the way enough but it's got me thinking that whole auxiliary unit could be designed to lift off. The main hassle I'm having is aligning the clamp plate and this would solve that.

Michael I will try the tape idea. I have a rare earth magnet on the tailstock that keeps the chuck wrench (not the key) handy. I sometimes pivot that down to catch the locking lever when moving the tailstock but that doesn't keep it dead center where the greatest extension occurs. Tape seems simple enough.

John J. I'll try this again. I might be over thinking this. Who ME!?
    RD

Richard...I was silly enough to buy Teknatool's version of the swing away as opposed to making my own and I bought mine for the same reasons you stated...the tailstock gets in the way in addition to the hassle of taking it on and off. I can tell you that between the added distance the tailstock is away from the headstock as well as swung out of line I no longer have problems with long tool handles hitting it. Spend the 20/30 bucks in materials to make your own and you won't be disappointed with the results...does the job.

Okay John,

You've got this thing rolling around in my noggin and that may or may not be a good thing.

I'm going to see what I come up with and I'll post the results if not too frightening. I sure wouldn't mind saving er . . re-directing the cash!

Thanks
    RD

10. Take the tailstock off and turn it upside down. Back off the screw holding the metal plate about 1/8 turn and see if it is easier to reinstall the tailstock.