Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1790 Sheraton Sycamore Occasional table

1790 Sheraton Sycamore Occasional table

Here are some photos of a table I just finished. Based on a photo in "18th Century English Furniture, the Norman Adams Collection" by Stevens and Whittington.
    The carcass, legs and drawer components are quarter-sawn white oak. Quarter-sawn sycamore is used on the legs, carcass and drawer front. All hammer glued with hot hide glue.
    Black dyed edging/stringing on legs and cross stretchers. The banding is shop made mahogany, holly and gaboon ebony with gaboon ebony for the leg cuffs.
    The top is a 4-way book match of sycamore burl with commercial inlay stringing, mahogany cross-banding with gaboon ebony edging. again all put down with hot hide glue. all hand cut mortices/tenons and dovetails. The veneers are from Berkshire Veneers, Ma. The brasses are from Optimum Brasses, England. The table is lightly dyed and finished with shellac. Sanded, steel wooled, Polished with pumice/rottenstone and waxed.
    Pheew....now on to the next project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's an exquisite piece, Joe! I especially like the stringing and inlay. This 18th Century English style looks very similar to Federal. Is there a direct connection?

That is a marvelous piece. Can you show a picture of the stretcher to leg connection?

Thanks Mike.
    I think the american furniture styles followed the english but lagged behind a little....it took a while for ideas and tastes to travel the ocean..We had better access to different wood so therefore we were able to "splurge" on solid maple, cherry walnut. as example...whereas England and europe in general, used veneers to make the limited supply of wood economical to them. And the migrating cabinet makers were of course, coming over bringing the styles of the times with them.
    At least that's my take on it...I'm far from any scholar on it....Thanks again

Man that's some nice work Joe, working with ebony in those small strips is a feat in its self. Thanks for sharing.

In my house it would be promoted to FULL TIME table! Lovely in every way.

Beautiful.

Man oh man. That's a beautiful table.

Regards

Michael

Great design, beautiful wood selection, fantastic execution!

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    The table is lightly dyed and finished with shellac. Sanded, steel wooled, Polished with pumice/rottenstone and waxed.
    That's a beautiful table, simple in appearance and anything but simple in construction. Well done.

Regarding the finish, how long did you wait for the shellac to cure before the sanding, steel wool, pumice and rottenstone treatment?
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

joe, that table such a refined and exquisite piece. Everything about it is impeccable. The use of the sycamore and the inlay and the edging are luscious. Congratulations on an heirloom piece.

Very well done! As others have stated.....elegant and exquisite!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank you everyone for the kind words and for taking the time to look and post comments.
    I did not mention that the veneer, around the sides, back and drawer front are book-matched as you go around the table (can be seen in the "corner" photo), as are the legs.
    Cody, I waited a little over 3 weeks before the "sanding thru wax" treatment. That let plenty of time for the shellac to settle and dry up. I use grain alcohol for the shellac instead of the big box store alcohol. Takes a little longer to set up but is a harder surface. (in my opinion). I was choosing the hardware and waiting for them to arrive from England in the meantime.
    Everyone Thanks again.

Really outstanding craftsmanship!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Absolutely wonderful piece!! Thanks for listing the sources.