Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Small Router?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I don't know about "best" but, I love my DWP611PK.

I like my single speed simple PC690 also for it's 1/4" and 1/2" collets.

I am using two PC 690's right now. They are wildly better than the Craftsman routers I used for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Cisco is pretty good.
    LOL...clever, Mr. P...although I would have a different opinion. heh...heh...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+1 on DW611, have a Colt, haven't used it since we got 2 611's and a plunge base, I would not recommend the Bosch to anybody unless they're into inaccuracy and frustration (will Bosch replace all the crappy bases they've manufactured if a new/improved version comes out?)

Microfence makes a nice plunge base for the Colt but the price is pretty high.

Lee Valley's new dremel plunge base
    looks good for inlay and similar fine detail work, I have one on the way.

The StewMac rotary tool base is another option though the new Lee Valley offering is stepping it up IMO.

-kg
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

4. Looking to buy a new router to replace a Craftsman "professional"

I don't use a router much, generally just for chamfers or to round over edges on general household projects.

Looking at the DeWalt 611, but also saw this Hitachi: http://www.lowes.com/pd/Hitachi-2-25...outer/50425858

any thoughts on the Hitachi? I like having more HP for about the same $$ as the DeWalt.

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with that Hitachi, Shawn, but it's the right type to consider, IMHO. The so-called "2.5hp" variable speed combos offer the best value I think. Mine is the DeWalt 618 kit. The DeWalt DW611 is nice, but it's less capable than the DW618 or the Hitachi you ask about or the PC 690/PC 890 kits, etc.
    --

Have Bosh Colt, but only use it for quick round overs of chamfers. I do like it a lot.

I can review that Hitachi router kit. I bought it 8 years ago because Amazon had a stupid cheap price on it and I needed another router for house construction. When I build a house all the walls are built on the deck completely sheathed with OSB. I than cut out all the openings using a router with a pattern bit. I also cut the OSB on the gable ends using the same method. The Hitachi did it all without a whimper and I pushed it hard.

I also use it to plunge cut shelf holes by the hundreds as the plunge is pretty good.

The only down side is the stupid square collet nut...maybe they have changed it over the years since I bought my router. Over all it is an excellent value for the money.

Having said that, I suppose I have another dozen or so routers for shop use. I like a few better than the Hitachi but to be fair a couple were three or four times the price. If I build another house the Hitachi will most certainly be the starter.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I have had the Ridgid, Bosch and now the Dewalt.

The Ridgid, I got it and within an hour I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. It got so hot I could not hold it. Took the new one home and give it a try and it was the same thing, to hot to hold, returned it.

Bosch Colt, worked great and it is a nice size, the only thing was the base, it was just hard to adjust and no plunge base. I called Bosch 3 different times and ask if they were ever going to come out with a plunge base and was told no.

Now the Dewalt 611 came on the market an I got one, sold the Bosch and have never looked back. The Dewalt is a little larger then the Bosch but then it also has a little more power. The plunge base is great and is just as good as any plunge base out there. The fixed base is also very good, easy to adjust and not that much larger then the Bosch. I do like the lights in the base of the router.
    I just bought a Dewalt 611pk,would really like to buy an edge guide for it but I've heard the DW6913 does not quite fit the DW611,if that's true, would you know what other edge guide would fit in it?

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    I just bought a Dewalt 611pk,would really like to buy an edge guide for it but I've heard the DW6913 does not quite fit the DW611,if that's true, would you know what other edge guide would fit in it?
    Sounds like this is the one you need.https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DNP618...6YTSFJQW4JSVBR

Happy DW611 owner. I bought and use the dust collection and edge guide accessories.

Thanks Cary, it looks more like a universal edge guide that fits most compact dewalt routers but as long as it fits my DW611 it should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    LOL...clever, Mr. P...although I would have a different opinion. heh...heh...
    This Chris is a Cisco router guy as well. 25 years now of those damn things. So I think you are out numbered Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    This Chris is a Cisco router guy as well. 25 years now of those damn things. So I think you are out numbered Jim.
    LOL Repeat after me: "Shortest Path Bridging" ...and then look over at the signage on that nice stadium visible from the Cisco HQ in San Jose/Santa Clara. 20 years "here" as of mid-next month and more than a decade elsewhere prior to that.
    --