Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Small Router?

I have way too many routers, including the PC and Festool and others. So of course, I had to go buy another one. I wanted a small router for occasional small tasks.

I bought the Ridgid for one reason: it fit nicely in my hand! This was important since one thing I have used it for is routing out letters. Being able to grip it easily gave me better control.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I have way too many routers, including the PC and Festool and others. So of course, I had to go buy another one. I wanted a small router for occasional small tasks.

I bought the Ridgid for one reason: it fit nicely in my hand! This was important since one thing I have used it for is routing out letters. Being able to grip it easily gave me better control.

JKJ
    I find it very ergonomic as well....did not know that a plunge base was unavailable for it. I have some thinking to do.

Purchased the Ridgid trim router and returned it the same day. Literally took 10 minutes of fussing with the wrench to change a bit. The base housing doesn't have enough clearance to get even half a turn on the nut to loosen the bit, then it's turned to such an angle that you can't get the wrench back on to give it another turn. It also over heated extremely fast. I have tons of Ridgid tools and this was a let down. Picked up the Dewalt P611 and love it. A abuse the hell out of it and it's still going strong without a hitch. Highly recommend!

There are 2 models of the Ridgid. The older one got very hot. The new one not so much.

When the new Bosch Colt router (GKF125CEK) comes out I am definitely going to pick one up with the plunge base, as my 1617EVSPK is now installed in my router table. Supposedly they have improved the adjustment mechanism, which was by far the most complained about feature of the earlier Colts.

Colt depth adjustment

I have a Bosch Colt. I would like the plunge base but it costs more than I paid for the factory refurb router. Playing around with the depth adjustment I discovered that it's possible to use the depth adjuster wheel with the lever locked. The adjustment on the lever lock nut has to be just so. Too tight and the fine adjust wheel won't turn. Too loose and the router motor slips. Pretty fussy but it's doable. Also don't forget to give the motor a twist after setting the rough depth adjustment and before locking the lever. I was reminded of that this past weekend .

Blog Entries
    The plunge base makes the Colt the router it should have been. I waffled between getting the plunge base or dumping the router and going with the DeWalt. I went with the plunge and it has been great. The Bosch fixed base is still a pain but remember, when it first came out reviewers all thought it was fabulous because it was so great ;-) the Pat Warner base is a requirement IMHO:

Kit-Hut-(64).jpg

The plunge has a nimble form factor . . .

Colt Plunge Base (2).jpg

. . . and accepts a lot of Bosch's cool accessories (although this makes it appear ginormous):

Media Cabinet (59).jpg

The last pic is after routing the slot with the vac hooked up.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have had the Ridgid, Bosch and now the Dewalt.

The Ridgid, I got it and within an hour I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. It got so hot I could not hold it. Took the new one home and give it a try and it was the same thing, to hot to hold, returned it.

Bosch Colt, worked great and it is a nice size, the only thing was the base, it was just hard to adjust and no plunge base. I called Bosch 3 different times and ask if they were ever going to come out with a plunge base and was told no.

Now the Dewalt 611 came on the market an I got one, sold the Bosch and have never looked back. The Dewalt is a little larger then the Bosch but then it also has a little more power. The plunge base is great and is just as good as any plunge base out there. The fixed base is also very good, easy to adjust and not that much larger then the Bosch. I do like the lights in the base of the router.

154560600.RsHtPTsg.PC014950.jpg 154560601.AOT8xNz8.PC014945.jpg 154565955.4KrHNzNW.PC014953.jpg

I had a Bosch Colt for years and sold it after I picked up a Dewalt 611. I love the plunge base and LED lights. I also use it hand held with the fixed base quite a bit. I'm going to get a second one to dedicate to my inlay kit.

Funny thing about that Bosch Colt. I have one that I havent even opened yet. Every time I think about opening it I think man, with the Bosch plunge base and vacuum attachment on it the total cost was around $160 (LINK & LINK), and its significatnly larger, so why wouldnt I just use my Bosch 1617EVSPK kit with its vacuum attachment?! Then I ask why did I even buy this thing. And there it sits...
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 02-17-2016 at 2:14 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I don't know about "best" but, I love my DWP611PK.

I like my single speed simple PC690 also for it's 1/4" and 1/2" collets.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The plunge base makes the Colt the router it should have been. I waffled between getting the plunge base or dumping the router and going with the DeWalt. I went with the plunge and it has been great. The Bosch fixed base is still a pain but remember, when it first came out reviewers all thought it was fabulous because it was so great ;-) the Pat Warner base is a requirement IMHO:

Kit-Hut-(64).jpg

The plunge has a nimble form factor . . .

Colt Plunge Base (2).jpg

. . . and accepts a lot of Bosch's cool accessories (although this makes it appear ginormous):

Media Cabinet (59).jpg

The last pic is after routing the slot with the vac hooked up.
    That is impressive dust collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Cisco is pretty good.

I have a Bosch Colt with all the fixins...like it just fine.

Cisco is what I am most familiar with, but if you are on a budget and are willing to get your hands dirty (in a manner of speaking) you can save a lot of money, if not time, by finding solutions elsewhere that will simply require more time behind the keyboard learning their configuration details and tweaking to what you expect.

As for woodworking I wish I had more experience with routers, the Craftsman bargain-basement router/table combo was a mistake I will not make twice and the Stanley router my father gave me is excellent, but old and quite heavy for the power available. Both are 1/4" collet rather than 1/2" so I am still looking for something with enough power for the projects I want to get into.

I should add to my recommendation for the Dewalt 611 that the dust collection adapters work very well.

DND615 Fixed
    DNP616 Plunge

They're available for under $10 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Adams View Post
    I should add to my recommendation for the Dewalt 611 that the dust collection adapters work very well.

DND615 Fixed
    DNP616 Plunge

They're available for under $10 each.
    +1, with a caveat. Both work well with conventional cuts, but dust collection during climb cuts isn't effective with the plunge base.

I found this cutting slots, (are they dados or grooves when cut in plywood?), the other day. Chips everywhere on the first pass when I had both a climb & conventional cut edge. Virtually no chips escaped on the second pass with a conventional cut for the second edge to set the width of the groove.