Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Small Router?

Best Small Router?

Right now I am working mostly with hand tools and own three routers, an older Craftsman that works very well for what it is, and two porter cable 690 routers one of which is in my router table permanently. I would like a smaller router for trimming laminate, doing inlay work, and performing other light tasks.

I have heard good things about both the Ridgid trim Router and the Festool 574399 Smaller router.

Reviews have been favorable to the DeWalt Router with the plunge base, but I dislike DeWalt battery tools and am hesitant to give them a shot on a router...even though my DeWalt Miter saw is flawless.

What in everyones mind is the best small nimble router for trim work? Biggest selling points for me would be visibility for inlay work and a smooth plunge mechanism that is easily adjustable. I like everything about the PC 690 other than its size and slightly awkward manners plunging.

I have no complaints with my Dewalt's

Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas View Post
    I have no complaints with my Dewalt's

Good to know. Like I said, the DeWalt reviews very well.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-15-2016 at 3:34 PM.

Bosch Colt is also super popular.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Bosch Colt is also super popular.
    I have had Fantstic luck with Bosch tools. Will check this out.

Under heavy use, the bearings in the dewalt go bad, and take the plastic bearing housing with them. Parts are only about $10 to replace, but it's a pain. I've replaced about 4 bottom bearings in the last 2 years. I think we have about 8 routers.

Just picked up a Makita, and it seems really nice so far.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I like my Bosch Colt. Had to buy the plunge base separately as it did not come in a kit when I bought mine. I purchased the installers kit with the three bases, (standard, tilting and offset.) The regular base works ok but is a bit of a pain to get your depth set correctly. i lent my router to another individual and it came back with the collet lock stripped. Can no longer use the push button lock. I ended up grinding a wrench thinner and use it on the flats machined into the shaft. Works ok but not as convenient as the push button. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another though.

I've heard only good things about the newer Dewalt unit. One feature that seems to be popular is the built in LED lighting. I have an older Dewalt trim router and much prefer the Bosch over it.

You can buy either the Dewalt or Bosch in kits with plunge and regular bases. Price is pretty much comparable between the two. Wouldn't think you'd go wrong with either of them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Clint

I have Bosch colt and am happy overall although there are minor things that people (including me) complain about it (micro depth adjustmen being one).
    From what I have seen Festool is among the top ones (really good but pricy). Next is Bosch and Dewalt, both get good reviews.

I like the Ridgid but it does not come with a plunge base. I have the DeWalt 611 kit and love it for shelf pins, but I feel it is a little big for inlay. For inlay I like a Dremel on a plunge base. I have done inlays with a dermal and a homemade base. I was too cheap to buy a plunge base.

Cisco is pretty good.

I have a Bosch Colt with all the fixins...like it just fine.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I like the Ridgid but it does not come with a plunge base. I have the DeWalt 611 kit and love it for shelf pins, but I feel it is a little big for inlay. For inlay I like a Dremel on a plunge base. I have done inlays with a dermal and a homemade base. I was too cheap to buy a plunge base.
    Interesting, I did not know a plunge base was made for the dremel.

Rockler has the dewalt kit including plunge base on sale for $160 right now free shipping.

I'm planning to get it.

13. Dewalt 611.

Thrilled w/ my Makita RT-0701 --- curious about the MLCS Rocky 30, which looks to be a rebadged variant.

I have the Dewalt DW618 kit with all three bases and have always been pleased with it. While I don't use it very much (because I like my Festool routers better), I do pull it out for use with the dovetail jig and for edge work where a fixed or D-handle is more comfortable to handle. It's been a quality tool for me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...