Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Small Router?

Ridgid R2401 x far.

My vote for the Dewalt DW615. Great little router. The old Elu/Dewalts are right up there with Festool, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer View Post
    My vote for the Dewalt DW615. Great little router. The old Elu/Dewalts are right up there with Festool, IMO
    Great Swiss Made Plunge Router, but not so small. IMO Festool is a step above. I have both.
    Milwaukee 6515 is my favorite hand held.
    Bosch is best for the MultiRouter cuz it takes a 3/8 collet.
    Porter Cable 7518 3hp lives in the Router Table.

DeWalt factory authorized outlet (which I believe has no connection at all to Dewalt) has the 611 kit with the plunge base on sale for $149 with coupon code save20bucks. Free ground shipping too.

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...bo-kit-w-led-s

I would examine the chuck on the DeWalt and base my decision between it and the Bosch Colt on that factor. I have a Colt and I like it but the collet slips occasionally. Maybe it's just the nature of 1/4 bits but I don't think my 690s slip that way even with 1/4 shank bits. If the DeWalt collet is better, it would be worth a try. But the Colt is a pretty nice router (I use a ground down wrench to change bits and don't love the height adjust either - but then the 690 isn't deluxe for height setting either. I don't have the plunge base or any accessory base. I use it to put a little chamfer or round over on things mostly.

I've owned both the Bosh colt and the DeWalt trim router. After using the DeWalt with the plunge base, I sold the Colt and bought another DeWalt. It's much easier to adjust the DeWalt and I like the light at the work. The Colt was really hard to adjust.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I like my little Ridgid. Nice as a laminate trimmer/really small router.

I also have a pair of Makita RT0701C compact routers. I have found that they are my go-to routers for smaller bits.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

[QUOTE=Mike Henderson;2530329]I've owned both the Bosh colt and the DeWalt trim router. After using the DeWalt with the plunge base, I sold the Colt and bought another DeWalt. It's much easier to adjust the DeWalt and I like the light at the work. The Colt was really hard to adjust.

DITTO - My experience and feelings exactly, but I still covet the Festool.

Love my little rigid and don't miss a plunge base at all.

Rockler also has the DW611 on sale for $160.
    War Eagle!

Don't get too worked up over the brand, just get one that has a base that takes the same guide bushings as your other routers.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Dewalt 611 with plunge base.

I liked my 611 PK so much I bought a second 611 motor so I would have both a fixed and a plunge in that size.

Couldn't be happier. If you go that route, get the 'D' plate to go with the fixed base.

Thanks for all of the responses!

The DeWalt DWP611PK kit is the ONLY DeWalt tool I own. I got it after reading many negative reviews on the Bosch Colt, and it's difficulties in adjustability. I also looked at the Ridgid and without a plunge base it wasn't for me.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983