Thread: Jointing a board wider than the jointer

Jointing a board wider than the jointer

Recently, Jay (JaysCustomCreations) posted a video demonstrating a way to joint a board wider than the jointer and then used a 'spacer' to run it through a planer...awesome idea and it worked great in the other videos I saw using a similar method.
    So, I had a need for an 8" wide board the other day, have an antique (ok, '70's) Craftsman 6" jointer and thought: "Sweet, I know how to do this" and proceeded to make an 8" wedge. My jointer has an infeed table that is wider than the outfeed and is also wider than the opening for the blades...
    So, any other methods to trick my jointer into flattening a wider board? I have done the 'rip it, joint it, glue it' and can still, but if there's an alternative I'd love to hear about it.
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Russel De Arman View Post
    My jointer has an infeed table that is wider than the outfeed and is also wider than the opening for the blades...
    That's the problem. T'ain't gonna happen.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Try a planer sled assuming you have a thickness planer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UONmuQt_98

one of these days i'll have to explain why modern jointers with their "rabbiting" table on the infeed side is all backwards. but then manufacturers would never sell a jointer larger than 8".

I don't understand that. Jointers have a rabbeting "ledge" on the out-feed. I've used it on a 4", 6", and my present 8" machine.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I'm not sure I fully understand.....I have removed the guard and flattened the first 8" of the board (6" for you), then I finished up the remaining portion with a handplane. It doesn't have to be perfect just flat enough to run through the planer. The Wood Whisperer has a video on this method on YouTube.

Maybe that's not what you need, I'm not sure what the different table width matters, so I'm probably missing the point all together.

"search" is your friend. Max Neu posted photos of a nice planer sled recently. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Russel De Arman View Post
    Recently, Jay (JaysCustomCreations) posted a video demonstrating a way to joint a board wider than the jointer and then used a 'spacer' to run it through a planer...awesome idea and it worked great in the other videos I saw using a similar method.
    So, I had a need for an 8" wide board the other day, have an antique (ok, '70's) Craftsman 6" jointer and thought: "Sweet, I know how to do this" and proceeded to make an 8" wedge. My jointer has an infeed table that is wider than the outfeed and is also wider than the opening for the blades...
    So, any other methods to trick my jointer into flattening a wider board? I have done the 'rip it, joint it, glue it' and can still, but if there's an alternative I'd love to hear about it.
    R
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I don't understand that. Jointers have a rabbeting "ledge" on the out-feed. I've used it on a 4", 6", and my present 8" machine.
    I think that is the question. Russel: Can you rabbet with your jointer? If not, looking into the jointing sled for the planer.

Blog Entries
    A planer sled is your friend.

CoD-crnr-wide (1).jpg . CoD-crnr-wide (2).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I think that is the question. Russel: Can you rabbet with your jointer? If not, looking into the jointing sled for the planer.

Well, yes I can. I had to google a few videos to find out, but yes, my jointer is capable of that...learn something new everyday, etc
    And now I can see how that method would work to joint a wider board...my machine doesn't lower the infeed side conveniently, but it would work...glad I asked this question.

...and I've searched, sometimes the polite thing to do is help someone formulate the proper search phrase, rather than respond with the always snarky "Search is your friend"
    I'm also already planning on making a planer sled like Max's, I actually posted in his thread before I started this one.

Thanks for the help all!

Apologies for perceived snark. If a planer sled does not appeal, facing less than full width on the jointer and finishing the flat surface with a hand plane or power plane is an option. For very wide pieces, search out a shop with a cnc router.

153104.jpg
    You need one anyway.

Blog Entries
    I use the jointer and planer. I run the wide board on the jointer leaving a rebate that is straight and smooth.

I attach the wide board with tape in the rebate to a smaller board that is flat and straight.

Then run the two boards through the planer with the flat board down, leaving a smooth flat surface on the wide board,
    remove the small board and tape from the "package" and run the board through the planer again with smooth surface down.

It works.

You know the piece he put under stock to run through planer, well put some on the in feed table of your joiner that lines up with rabbeting ledge on out feed table. I use some tempered hardboard, or some of the melamine coated wall board for shower surrounds. Put a cleat at end, and a couple pieces of double stick tape to hold it in place. Take off "pork chop" guard and replace it with one that attaches over top of fence. I've done 10" wide boards on my 6" Grizzly this way.

If the stock is cupped, you can face joint it with the convex side down (contrary to the usual method). The jointer will flatten the center portion of the cupped board and it can then be run through the planer with that flattened area faced down allowing the other side to be planed flat.

Of course, that only works with cupped boards.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln