Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Wood Sealer?

Green Wood Sealer?

I have been away from the log chasing and green bowl drying for too many years while I did my architectural turning work. Now that I'm back to scrounging logs and chasing the tree removal trucks I see there are more choices for sealers. Specifically, I see that Craft Supplies has a wax emulsion that appears to be what I used to buy from them with a different label, and then I see there is Anchor Seal.

What are the log harvester/ bowl turners using these days?

Tom,

I've only used Craft Supplies (Craft USA?) green wood sealer, and I think it works very well; I've always assumed it was very close, if not identical, to Anchor Seal, that is, a waxy emulsion, but I don't know that for a fact. I don't know anything about other brands.

Anchor Seal (Classic) is all I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Tom, I've only used Craft Supplies (Craft USA?) green wood sealer, and I think it works very well; I've always assumed it was very close, if not identical, to Anchor Seal, that is, a waxy emulsion, but I don't know that for a fact. I don't know anything about other brands.
    I use this too.

I get anchor seal fron UCCoatings retail. 2 gallon container for about $48 with free shipping.

I also use Anchorseal. Got a 5-gallon bucket delivered a couple years ago. It's almost gone...

Beware of anchor seal #2.

My club went through a 55 gallon barrel of Anchor Seal 2 without one single complaint. I myself used over 5 gallons and I saw no difference in results of either formula. We are currently in to the fifth club sponsored 55 Gallon barrel and I never asked which we bought. There must have been a price increase this year as the club is now charging $8 a gallon instead of $7.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Beware of anchor seal #2.

Why do you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
    Why do you say that?
    A google search of "anchorseal #2" showed past discussions in several forums about the original vs #2 formula. Some people reported better results with the original. I read a couple of speculations that problems with the #2 might be regional, i.e., more problems in drier climate. Some said #2 was thinner but worked OK with two coats.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...s-Anchorseal-2
    http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworki...-anchorseal-2/
    http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/show...s-Anchorseal-2

JKJ

Thanks everyone.

I did get an answer from Roger Durst at Craft Supplies about his product:
    The Artisan Woodsealer has always been Anchorseal wood sealer. Weather they have changed their formula over the years or not I can’t tell you."

I think I'll order some Anchor Seal Classic from the manufacturer, which appears to be the only place to buy it.

Tom

I had no problems with the original Anchorseal. When I ran out of it I bought the new and improved Anchorseal 2. I noticed that I had a lot more bowls that cracked during the drying process than I ever had before. Nothing had changed as far as my process, thickness, or how I stored them, yet I wouldn't be surprised if I had 50% crack in one batch. It's pretty frustrating to put all that work into roughing out blanks, only to have them crack and become worthless.

I read other posts that said to put on 2 coats, but I never had to do that with the original Anchorseal. That adds double the work and that's not for me. I had to resort to double coats, then putting blanks in paper bags or cardboard boxes to try and keep them from cracking. The bags and boxes helped, but again that was more work, or more a pain in the you-know-what then I was used to.

Baileys was having a sale (baileysonline.com), so I bought a 5 gallon container of sealer from them when they were having free shipping. I've been using it for a while now and it seems OK. It's a little more watery than I like, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. My cracking rate has gone back down to what it was before, which means 1 or 2 bowls once in a while. When I run out of Baileys, I'll compare prices to the original Anchorseal, and then decide. If I remember right, I got the Baileys for $20 less than Anchorseal, and with free shipping it was a good buy.
    Last edited by Pat Scott; 02-17-2016 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added baileys link

I've been useing Baileys for a couple of years now. Works as well as Anchorseal #1 for me. Like Pat I find the 5 gallon bucket with free shipping a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    I've been useing Baileys for a couple of years now. Works as well as Anchorseal #1 for me. Like Pat I find the 5 gallon bucket with free shipping a good deal.
    How the heck do you get free shipping? They want $52 to ship to IL.

They offer a free shipping promo a couple times a year. I'd call and ask when the next promo will be.