Thread: Can you still buy parts for this?

Can you still buy parts for this?

washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/tls/5450118131.html
    alt2.jpgalt3.jpgalt4.jpgalt1.jpg
    Altendorf for $500.

I'm not thinking about it, but just wondering.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-17-2016 at 12:37 AM.

I would think so. Nice saw! 1/4 the price of my powermatic that I bought back in '97.

1/2 my Grizzly of 2000 and was built the year I graduated high school.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

How are you not thinking about buying that? Unless of course you have the same amount of square footage I have and that saw would require all of it.

We don't use much plywood, or crosscut on a table saw. The other thread on recommending a new saw got me wondering why anyone bought a new one, and I poked around CL a bit to see what saws were going for these days. I have three table saws, and don't need another one. This looked like a good deal for someone, if parts are still available. I would expect it needs something.

Double check and make sure that isn't the one that only cuts at 90 degrees to the table. They had a model where the blade didn't tilt and I only see one hand wheel.

That's a great saw! One of our members, Steve Jenkins, down in Texas has a similar one in his shop if I recall clearly from a visit I made there. Altendorf is still kicking!

BTW, Most of my woodworking is with solid stock although my tack trunks do use sheet goods. But I still love my slider and wouldn't want to go back to a traditional North American saw design at this point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Phenolic way non tilt saw. They are not cheap to repair. You may get it into shape for 500 or 5000. Hard to know which. The phenolic ways might be fine but if worn in just part of the stroke, there is no easy fix. Dave

Styles Machinery is the sole (read monopoly) distributor for Altendorf in North America. You can contact them for parts availability. Get ready for sticker shock though. Nothing will be cheap. At that price, it probably has issues. As David mentioned, the F-90 doesn't tilt like the F-45, and the pre-1991 models (I believe) had phenolic ways (as opposed to chromed ways). The phenolic ways are much more prone to wear under heavy use than the chromed ways. It's an expensive job to replace them. The positive thing is that there wouldn't be lot of electronics to repair. Judging by the color, I'd guess it's a 1980's machine. It might be a smoking deal for the right person... or a financial nightmare for someone that's not into tinkering.

Quote: "Double check and make sure that isn't the one that only cuts at 90 degrees to the table. They had a model where the blade didn't tilt and I only see one hand wheel."

Alan...you're probably right that it only cuts 90 degrees to the table. That "F-90" on it suggests that.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

You read the Altendorf serial number like this. First two digits the year made, next two the month, then machine number for the year. 95 05 260 would be the 260th saw built in 1995 and finished in the month of May. At least that is how they used to be. Ours is a 1990 model F-45.