Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever trigger your Sawstop safety cartridge? How?

Ever trigger your Sawstop safety cartridge? How?

Still deliberating...

There are several threads on this topic. Just search

the company I used to work for has 2 sawstops and one or the other will trigger about once a month for no reason other than the cheap plywood they use. most of the time the persons hands are 4 to 8 feet away from the blade and not even touching the saw itself.

I think a better question would be, "has anyone ever had their Sawstop not trigger when it should have done so.?"
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Incra's aluminum mitre gauges seem to be a popular culprit.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Smith View Post
    I nailed one before my SS. Now I am really really careful about it. That can't be a bad thing.

Yep, I got one by being too fast to measure for the next cut. Touched the barely spinning blade with the rule. More careful now.

I'll pay that price any day to save my fingers. Cody's comment is spot on - "Does the SawStop protect your fingers?" I've not heard of a case where it didn't.

My fingers are extremely valuable to me. I'm very attached to them and want them to stay that way.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Smith View Post
    I did this twice. But twice in 4 years. I don't experience the saw to misfire. It HAS spun down (not tripped) when cutting green wood as if to warn me: I'm going to trip if you keep doing this.

I did, firmware problem in the brake cartridge. This was several years ago, the new ones don't have this issue. SS replaced the brake and since it tripped on startup the blade was pretty much okay as I recall.

Thread about it here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ake-Activation

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Peet; 02-17-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added link

I had my first firing a few weeks ago while cutting a piece of veneered 1/4" plywood. It was old piece that I purchased as part of a large Craigslist ad. I didn't notice that the veneer was foil backed before making my cut. There was nothing obvious in looking at the wood that it contained foil. The SS triggered about 1 inch into the cut and then I could see the shinny foil. I had my fingers pressing on the back edge of the board so I guess the foil completed the circuit. Lesson learned! SS did replace the cartridge for free! Love the saw!

Twice. Once due to nicking an aluminum T-track in a cross-cut sled. Second: we have a 5" flex duct above the blade, in a pull-down arrangement. This flex-duct had a metal wire loop, and fell on the blade. Now our flex-duct has a plastic loop.

Blog Entries
    Twice. Once cutting a piece that had a piece of metal tape measure attached that I somehow missed (not paying attention obviously). Once cutting some plastic that was static dissipating (read conductive). There is a simple bypass procedure that allows you to make a test run at anything that you think might be a problem. I now do this faithfully . . . hmm, I wonder why ;-)

In a nutshell, the system fires as it should. If you feed the saw a trigger it will fire. Of the gazillion cuts I have made on the saw, I fired twice and was at fault both times. I use an incra miter gauge (steel and aluminum galore) and various sleds and fixtures with metal track in them or metal holddowns. I have never had an issue with any of these although the first time I use a new jig or fixture I use bypass mode to check and see if a triggering would have occurred. For the two firings I must've forgotten to read the sign I have up in the shop . . . "This Machine Has No Brain. Use Yours!"
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-17-2016 at 1:09 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I must've forgotten to read the sign I have up in the shop . . . "This Machine Has No Brain. Use Yours!"
    Ha thats a good one!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Last week I learned you can blow a really quick $150 by trying to rip foil-faced insulation board without turning off the sensor. I'd been ripping 2'x8' blue foamboard and the lumberyard ran out, so they substituted foil-sheathed Thermax boards. Oops. There wasn't even a crease in the foil or the foam, btw - just a couple of busted teeth on my WWII blade. Maybe Forrest can fix it, but a good lesson learned. First time I've triggered the brake in 3+ years.

how many have a spare trigger on hand in case you have one go off.