Thread: First Humidor

First Humidor

I am starting my first humidor for a friend of mine and I am looking for some pointers.

Should I make it out of solid Spanish Cedar or line a Walnut box with Spanish Cedar.
    He wants the box larger than the Spanish Cedar boards that I have.

I am considering solid Spanish Cedar with a lock miter corner joints and Brusso quadrant hinges.
    Can Spanish Cedar be edge glued? Should I tongue and grove or just joint them?

I have never done one out of solid cedar so I can't comment on that. I just fully line it with cedar, sides, top, and bottom. Not sure if you have used those quadrant hinges but there are more then a few steps to install them. Take a look at those SmartHinges out of the U.K. More then sufficient for a humidor and way way easier to install. Last time I bought them they were cheaper then those Brusso hinges, even with the shipping. Just a thought on the hinges....

Tom,
    I lined a box with Spanish cedar milled to 1/4". Spanish cedar is funny stuff: I had read that it can ooze sap so I milled and stickered it for a long while, months, and one of the boards oozed sap. Luckily I had more than enough for the project.
    I also used the Brusso quadrant hinges and even though it's a process to install them I didn't find it particularly difficult. And they are so nice!

I've probably made a dozen of the basic humidor featured in Fine Woodworking years ago. Very basic joinery and good tips. If you have an understanding spouse/partner/roomate, you can also set the sap in resawn spanish cedar by putting it in the oven. I don't remember the time/temperature offhand, but I've done it successfully. The article and plans are free: http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...e-plan-humidor
    JR

I've made a couple of humidors too. Always made them with a 'normal' wood and then lined them with 1/4" Spanish cedar.