Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blank milling blade for bandsaw

blank milling blade for bandsaw

What blade is everyone using to cut blanks on the bandsaw? I've been using a resaw blade since its what I have, but I'm ready to try something that actually works well and cuts a radius.

geen wood or dry wood? Makes a difference. Timberwolf sells a good blade as does Highland Hardware. Generally, I use a 3/8" 2 AS or 3, but I would call either Highland or a Timberwolf dealer (I think that I've used Sussex) and tell them what bandsaw you will be using and what wood you generally cut.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Woodturner's 3/8" Bandsaw Blade at Highland Woodworking. Check it out at http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...dsawblade.aspx. - John

4. + 1 on the Woodturners blade from Highland Hardware. I have used them for the last couple years, and have had the best performance from them....even better than the Timberwolf blades I used previously.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I am using Lenox 1/2" 2tpi "#32 Wood". It is a carbon steel band. The Lenox "Diemaster ll" series is bimetal and will last longer unless you hit metal. Hitting a nail with a brand new bimetal blade is painful to the wallet, less so with a carbon steel blade.

I use a 1/2 X 2AS Timberwolf blade. It's made for green bowl blanks or milling logs.
    Probably not the best blade for a tight radius but for bowl blanks staying inside the lines isn't that important. It will cut tight enough if you make a few relief cuts.
    Last edited by daryl moses; 02-22-2016 at 8:40 PM.

Lennox Bimetal Die Master blades, hands down. They can be resharpened, and I take mine to a saw shop that does bandsaw mill blades. Nails will dull them, but they sharpen right back up. I was chatting with the Carter Bandsaw guide people last year at the Pittsburgh Symposium and told him that they could be resharpened, and he didn't know that. I don't think I have worn one out due to sharpening so many times. Usually they break first. They cut straighter than any others I have seen. On my little saw, 1/2 wide blade by 3 tpi. Big saw, 1 1/4 inch blade with teeth at 3/4 inch apart.

robo hippy

I've got a Grizzly G0513X2 17". I mostly use it for resawing, general straight cutting and milling blanks. All the flat wood I play with is air dried, and the turning blanks are anywhere from green to 'was green when I cut it last year' The saw handles 3/4" Timberwolf 3TPI blades well and resaws wonderfully, but that blade just doesn't do well at working up blanks. I'm still a bandsaw noob, so I'll probably go with the less expensive option to begin with. I read some today about the Woodturner's blade at Highlands and for <$26 its just what I'm looking for. Thanks guys!

Wes anything over $20 is an expensive bandsaw blade. Go to bandsawblades.com (I think). You can buy six for quantity discount, if you want at around $12 each. I cut a lot of bowl blanks and can say you will damage blades fairly easy with wood stress pinching them, hitting a hidden obstacle, cutting bark and etc. These blades cut well and last quite awhile if you don't damage them. The timber wolf, lenox and others are better blades especially for precision cutting but are to expensive to use on bowl blanks which don't require precision IMHO.

Another vote for the Highland woodturners blade. They seem to last forever, cut straight with no binding.

3tpi , 3".

I use cheap blades and they work fine. It's the tooth count that er counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Bonertz View Post
    Wes anything over $20 is an expensive bandsaw blade. Go to bandsawblades.com (I think). You can buy six for quantity discount, if you want at around $12 each. I cut a lot of bowl blanks and can say you will damage blades fairly easy with wood stress pinching them, hitting a hidden obstacle, cutting bark and etc. These blades cut well and last quite awhile if you don't damage them. The timber wolf, lenox and others are better blades especially for precision cutting but are to expensive to use on bowl blanks which don't require precision IMHO.
    Thanks Dale. I'll definitely check that out. I'm on my 3rd TW resaw blade. The first one broke - I think it was dull and I was pushing too hard. The 2nd one I bent installing on the saw and I gave up on it when it dulled and quit cutting straight. The one I have on now is doing well. I've had good luck touching up the teeth with my Dremel and it seems to cut better than it did new. Hopefully I'll have the same luck with sharpening the WT blade. Call it a gloat, but I got this saw (gently used and in fine shape) plus a Wood River mortiser for $700. The guy threw in about 25 different blades for it, most of them new and some that didn't fit this saw, which I gave away. I still have a few new TW resaw blades in reserve so I'm chalking the last 2 up as learning experiences. I wanted to get used to the saw before buying anything new and think I'm ready to try some different blades for specific uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Bonertz View Post
    Thanks for the info on bandsawblades. I might have run across them in the past, but passed them over due to their website being pretty sparse and no prices or pictures. Which blade do you use from them? (carbon or tri-temp. I assume not bi-metal). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by carl mesaros View Post
    Another vote for the Highland woodturners blade. They seem to last forever, cut straight with no binding.
    I have a buddy that cut up a couple hickory logs for me that would disagree... but then that stuff was so hard, he also dulled two chainsaw blades and (understandably) gave up halfway through the job. I offered to pay for a new blade but he wouldn't accept it. (I've since rough turned the four blanks we cut. Cut, sharpen, cut, sharpen, cut, sharpen... crazy hard stuff...)

That said, he strongly recommended the highland woodturners blades as well.

Pat,
    I haven't paid attention in a long time so thanks for making me look. I just call them and tell them I need more. They say extra duty carbon band on them 3TPI for my little saw. I am sure the big saw is the same but that is the 20" saw if they ask. The little saw is a 14". They are 1/2" BY 3TPI. If you call them they'll help you get the right thing. Or I suppose you could tell them you want to match what I use except in your size.