Thread: Deros

Deros

When I first saw the Mirka Deros I thought it was a nice sander but only an idiot would pay $600 for
    one. Color me an idiot, I needed a new sander and bit the bullet.

It arrived and I put to work, about two minutes later it died. I called the warranty folks and was told it was probably the speed controller and that they would repair it. I said I didn't want it repaired, I wanted it replaced. Who wants a brand new repaired $600 sander? I was told that there was a good chance a new one wouldn't do any better. Sure 'nuff after a good while the new one came and it at least runs but the controls don't work properly so it'll go back too.

At the moment I wish I'd bought another Festool, they aren't as nifty but mine's been a workhorse and never given any trouble. Apparently Mirka's got a bad run of circuit boards but they shouldn't just Keep shipping them knowing it's a crap shoot for their customers.

I have been debating btwn Mirka Deros and Festool, myself. Guess I shall stick with Festool. Thanks for posting.

A conundrum it is, rolling the dice on getting another 'bad' new one still in circulation or having the original repaired figuring that the bugaboo's have been worked out and actually getting back a tool in better shape.

I'm still using my Ceros and various Festools and think both are top notch, so a bad run of boards, while frustrating, probably won't shake me off either brand as long as customer service is up to snuff should something go amok.

I've had a Deros for nearly a year, and it's given me no problems at all. I tried the newer Festool at Woodcraft but found I prefer the paddle switch on the Deros. Others have said they like the Festool switch system better. Also, the Festool is about a half pound heavier. I could see why someone might prefer one or the other. They are both excellent sanders. Bad electronics problems are usually taken care of quickly by a high-end manufacturer. It is in their best interest to do so if they want to keep selling their products.

We've been running the Ceros sanders hard for almost a year. No problems yet. If I only got a year out of them, I'd be okay with that.

I've been using my new Deros for about two months now. So far I'm in love. Fingers crossed!