Thread: Powermatic Problems

Question Powermatic Problems

My PM 3520a is showing an error code occ. It will run if I play with it but will not restart unless I play some more. The lathe sat unused for a couple yrs after and auto accident and was working fine before. Anyone have any ideas? Thank You in advance.
    Jim Bell

One more pass and you may see brass!

First thing I would do is call Powermatic. Bet they can help.

Powermatic service guys are great. Try unplugging for an extended period of time. After this time plug in and try. They told me the capacitors have to fully discharge to re-boot.

15 second for capacitors to recharge as I was told from tech support I also leave my machine plugged in and if not turning, more than a month I give it a little love and run it for a short time. Reduces the chance for flat spots on the belt.

Jerry

I'd take away it's driver's license :-) :-)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Good one Michelle!

If you are out of warranty, the price will be quite high for a new VFD through PM. Assuming you are outside of the warranty period and electrically inclined, you may try resoldering the bank of large caps that are in the Delta VFD. I did this for a friend that was experiencing the same symptoms and error code on a 3520A from about 2003-2004. I checked the VFD boards and noticed nothing was obviously burnt. I then noticed the solder cracks on the cap solder joints. Once resoldered, the VFD seems to have worked fine since then...
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 02-24-2016 at 9:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    Good one Michelle!

If you are out of warranty, the price will be quite high for a new VFD through PM. Assuming you are outside of the warranty period and electrically inclined, you may try resoldering the bank of large caps that are in the Delta VFD. I did this for a friend that was experiencing the same symptoms and error code on a 3520A from about 2003-2004. I checked the VFD boards and noticed nothing was obviously burnt. I then noticed the solder cracks on the cap solder joints. Once resoldered, the VFD seems to have worked fine since then...

I will take a look at that board. I called PM this morning and the new part is 554.00 shipped to my door. A little solder seems like a better deal. Thanks everyone for the help!
    Jim Bell

My friend's lathe had the same symptoms for a while. After a while it wouldn't even get the motor up to speed with nothing on the spindle before stopping. Hopefully it works well for you! Like you said, if it doesn't work you will be out a little time and little solder.

Good luck,
    Dick

You stated a new part was going to be $554.00. Is this a new VFD? If so, there are some less expensive options available to you. I replaced my VFD for $125.00. PM me if interested.

I'm pretty sure the $554 price is for a pre-programmed original VFD-B from PM.

Dwight is correct that other VFDs that can power a 2hp motor can be purchased for much less money. The original Delta VFD-B is no longer available through Delta (Taiwan) and their distributors so PM must have some new/old stock. Your other lower cost options are a Delta VFD-S (that will have a fan running as long as power is applied) or some other brand...all of which will need to be programmed.

Well the new part came in last week and today I installed it. It has a little fan that blows air to cool off something. Lathe now runs good as ever. Put a big piece of Rosewood on it immediately and started making an creamation urn for a friends deceased dogs. (2) Thanks again for all the advice. It's nice to have some help from your friends.

Jim
    Jim Bell

If you heart is not set on a Delta VFD, here's an option for $156
    http://dealerselectric.com/FM50-202-C.asp
    I've had good luck with these. Fairly easy to install and your controls on your lathe will still work the same.

Thank You Bob for the info. I already ordered and installed the PM part though. I will however keep this info for later if I ever need another one. Would have saved me around 400.00 or so. Live and learn. At least my PM is up and running again.
    Jim Bell