Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this new router bit safe?

Is this new router bit safe?

Ordered a Freud spiral upcut bit from Amazon (needed it quickly so wanted to use the Prime option, otherwise I'd have probably bought a different brand). Bit arrived and looks like the attached pictures. Is this....normal? The paint is all sloppy, but I'm worried about the "chunky" looking interface between the shaft and the shank. I figure this is either a case of, "Nah, it's fine, use it", or "Oh god don't even try to use that!", but I'm not sure which
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would have expected better from Freud but it seems that it would function fine. I wonder if any of that slag on there might cause a slight wobble to the bit as it's cutting? You might wanna try it on some scrap first to gauge the cut. I bet it'll be fine.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Why is it burnt/black on the top? To me this looks like a used/abused bit. I would send it back.

Is this is no kidding how it arrived? If it is, send it back.
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 02-23-2016 at 9:02 PM.

Mark, I think that's just the light reflecting funny off the spiral. It's definitely unused.

Definitely does not look correct. I have many Freud bits and they are all very nicely manufactured - nothing like that! Doesn't Home Depot still sell Freud bits in your area? Looks like just a straight cutter available in big box stores.

AMAZON, huh? Do you remember if the item was new or used? Sounds used to me. So there may be no recourse. If it was supposed to be new, I would definitely return it. (Can I say this ??? Just for the record, prices on routerbitworld.com are excellent and usually cheaper than Amazon. Shipping is only $1.00. Also very quick on delivery.)

It is definitely not used. I'm worried about the slag and the rough looking machining, which wouldn't be impacted by use, anyways...

Peter, it's a spiral upcut - not something the big box would carry.

Lowe's carries spiral up and down cut bits. ALL of the spiral up or down cut bits I have used are one piece. The shadow in the picture is curious. also the 'chunky' part looks like the spiral is brazed to the shank. I have never seen that before and nor have I seen a "two-piece" HSS or carbide spiral bit.

Blog Entries
    I have the same bit that I purchased several years ago. Even with use, it looks better than yours. I would return it and order a replacement. Here's mine, it also has a high speed steel body with a carbide cutting section.....
    IMG_9864.jpg
    I also purchase bits from Routerbitworld and have never been disappointed. The 1/2 shank bit shown is $36.33 from Routerbitworld.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-24-2016 at 11:58 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

10. Is it from Amazon or one of their "marketplace sellers"? I'm wondering if it is a fake or a "second" that the "maketplace seller" is not disclosing. I actually like Freud bits because they have always been well made. I would return it.

It was from Amazon, not a 3rd party.

Here's another pic just to show that the cutting portion isn't "burned" or discolored or anything. It's razor sharp, no nicks - unquestionably a brand new, never used bit.

I'll send it back to Amazon and order a Whiteside (like I should have, the first time)

20160223_203624.jpg

I have a few of those bits (3/8" Freud spiral) and none look like that. I'd replace it as well.
    I am a customer of routerbitworld as well, they have very good selection, very good price, and excellent service (Richard is the guy, very happy customer).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I'll send it back to Amazon and order a Whiteside (like I should have, the first time)
    Every manufacturer puts out defects occasionally. I normally use Whiteside V bits on my CNC router. I have worn out several. The last time I ordered, I received a Whiteside bit that was so blunt at the point that it was unusable. I went to Woodcraft and bought a Freud replacement because I had a job to get out quickly. It looked and worked flawlessly. I am just glad you have the time to get a replacement, although the Freud would probably worked okay.

Blog Entries
    I'm a Whiteside guy but, Freud bits are pretty good. The appearance is disconcerting and anything that I spin at near-30k RPM would want to have unquestioning faith in. It may be just fine but, I too would return it for another.

P.s. Brian Holbren gets Whiteside stuff to me in Cali from FLA in just a few days, usually two. I'm not sure how that happens
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'd return it and get a Whiteside instead. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K2BGRE Cheaper and better quality and available for Amazon Prime shipping.