Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Block Plane worth fixing up?

Question Is this Block Plane worth fixing up?

So, I finally decided that I needed to get a decent block plane for end-grain. I went hunting on ebay for a low-angle version and got a Millers Falls 56 in very good condition.

In the process, however, I accidentally bid on another plane that I hadn’t even looked at. I won the auction at $4.25 (plus $10 shipping). Suddenly, I found myself with two block planes. The “accidental” plane turned out to be a standard angle Craftsman 3704 BB (a rebrand of the Millers Falls 26, I believe). Unfortunately, I discovered that the lever cap’s lever and the circle that holds it are completely broken off of the cap. Nevertheless, I de-rusted the plane, and the rest of it looks salvageable but not great (see photos).

So here is my question: can this type of plane (clones of the Stanley 9 ½) be used properly without the lever by compensating with extra pressure from the screw, or is the plane fundamentally compromised as is? In other words, is it worth the effort of trying to restore this plane, or should I just consider it a parts donor for a future standard angle block plane?

Thanks in advance.

-Brad

IMG_2371.jpgIMG_2378.jpgIMG_2380.jpg

Honest answer-Either would be correct. I have a similar plane that has seen about zero use that I fixed up. In a block plane, I like a fine adjustment mechanism that really allows me to dial in a cut-I have a Veritas apron plane, a Lie Nielson Rabbiting block plane, and a vintage Stanley 60 1/2. Were I to be in your shoes, I would probably use the Millers Falls and save any money towards a really good block plane-

Also IMHO you don't need both standard angle and low angle block planes. You can get by with just the low angle. Which is probably why Lie Nielson discontinued the 103 high angle and still sells the 102 low angle.

Good luck and keep us posted. And if your ever in Columbus, Ohio drop by and I will give you a plane like the one shown free of charge...I am too lazy to ship it to you...

That's a fine little plane, identical to the Stanley 9 1/2. It's a 20 degree bed, not a 12 degree low angle, but still very useful. The depth-adjuster is rather a PITA compared to the other types, but at least there is one.

Unfortunately, this particular plane appears to be missing the little lever that tightens the levercap, rendering it useless.

A fellow over on LJs ( where this question is also posted) HAS a spare cap iron, needs a PM to know where to send it to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    A fellow over on LJs ( where this question is also posted) HAS a spare cap iron, needs a PM to know where to send it to you.
    Amazing, there are more solutions on SMC before I have even had my first cup of coffee.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It would be better to get a proper cap. It's a great plane otherwise.

The caps from the Millers Falls 16, 26, and 36 will all fit. Also a Stanley 9 1/2 cap will slap right on. The G12-220 caps may also, I have them but it never occurred to me to check.

You really want that cam lever to operate correctly. If you tighten down on the cap screw instead you'll have a ton of resistance for the depth adjuster to work against and it'll be a pain in the butt to adjust.

Thanks to everybody for all of the advice. I am going to try and get that cap mentioned over at LJ. In the meantime, I will just use the low angle MF 56.

I have both the M-F 56B and the later 1455. Both are low angle. Just fixed up a M-F No. 75/ Sears 107-36032? Restored back to the Millers Falls look.

Happen to use that 56B a lot! We'll see how the 75 works later.
    BTW...have two Stanley 9-1/2 block planes in the shop. One, though is a type 2.

Glad to hear you like the 56B. My 56 is almost completely tuned up now, and I am excited to try it out. Let me know how that 75 works out once you start using it.

So far..so good on the No.75
    shavings.jpg
    Basically, this was a Millers falls knock-off of a Stanley #220. I changed in from what was sold at Sears
    mailing bag.jpg
    To what it looks like now
    cleaned side view.jpg
    Looks a lot better..now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Root View Post
    The “accidental” plane turned out to be a standard angle Craftsman 3704 BB (a rebrand of the Millers Falls 26, I believe).

IMG_2371.jpgIMG_2378.jpgIMG_2380.jpg

The Craftsman 3704 block planes were manufactured, I believe, by several different companies over the years. I have one myself, which I believe is the same as the Stanley produced one. (I think you and I both have the same type.)

Observe the differences in the thumb oval and the adjustment lever:

1941-Sears-Catalog.jpg
    1941 Sears catalog

mine.jpg
    My 3704 (left) and 3732 (right)

01a.jpg
    Now, compare with this ebay 3704 - different oval (nearly round) and the end of the adjustment lever is different.

01b.jpg
    Same ebay plane as previous. Hooked lever.

Could the first type (oval thumb rest, bent lever) be Stanley made, and the second type (round thumb rest, hooked lever) be a Sargent manufactured plane? I'm not enough of a plane expert to tell you, maybe someone else can chime in.

Those are all the pics I have handy at the moment.
    "I am always doing what I can't do yet in order to learn how to do it."
    - Van Gogh, 1885

Interesting... My reasons for thinking that this is a MF are:

1. I believe BB was the early Sears code for Millers Falls

2. The plane looks like the MF 26 posted here: http://oldtoolheaven.com/blok/blok01.htm

blok26.jpg

The thumb rest is more oval and the lever is bent, not hooked.

Honestly, however, I cannot tell the difference between the MF 26 and the Stanley 16 (which is the nickel plated version of the 9 1/2). Here is a picture of a Stanley 16:
    222587.jpg

3. I found this: "
    *11/11/14: It is important to note that there are TWO different Craftsman block planes with the 3704 model number. One is made by Millers Falls and is easy to tell the lateral adjuster lever comes out above the depth adjuster knob and bends downward in an arc. The other, from Sears vendor #619 (originally Sargent's OEM code iirc, now assigned to Arps Corp.) is easily characterized by a "folded over" lateral adjuster. They also have quite different levers on otherwise nearly identical lever caps - the Millers Falls-made plane has a lever that more closely resembles the modern Stanley #220 lever, the 619-numbered plane has one that appears slightly longer and more narrow.

http://timetestedtools.forumchitchat...-falls-7288452

So what do you think? Do we have Millers Falls planes?

I think that hooked lever was from Sargent Tool Co. Also note the mouth adjuster being a different set up It was also called a 607 I think...

Yes it does! Very nice!

SDC13934.jpg
    Sargent version
    SDC13936.jpg
    Opened up. Note the lateral lever.