Thread: Woodhaven Crosscut Sled

Woodhaven Crosscut Sled

Hi!

Recently I tried to no avail to install a Jet Sliding table onto my Jet super saw. I was disappointed when I couldn't because my fence system (not a Jet) is not compatible...

So, I headed the next best direction and went to Woodhaven. I bought their small crosscut sled, just received it and installed it tonight. Here are some pictures.

I am very pleased with it. It is incredible well made, the directions were easy to follow. It will fit most any saw and it isn't too big for me to manuever and take on and off the saw. I have several doors this week to make and this will be key to cutting the stiles and rails. Accurate cuts really are key to fine woodworking and I am pleased with each step that I take that gets me closer to that goal.

Check out Woodhaven
    www.woodhaven.com

Nice looking sled, Gail. Good luck with it.
    Is that the large or standard size?

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 09-12-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Gail,
    Congrats on your new tools purchase. Hopefully it will make your job a little easier. I've been looking for a sled like that as well. Please keep us posted how it works out for you.

Thanks,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Nice looking sled, Gail. Good luck with it.
    Is that the large or standard size?

Richard
    Small / Std Crosscut.

That is sweet Gail. Nice sled, I am sure that will be a huge help to you in your buz! I am currently thinking of building my own sled, so many designs!

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    Small / Std Crosscut.
    Thanks Roy, I guess I missed that.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Thanks Roy, I guess I missed that.

Richard
    Richard, I just spend 10 minutes looking up "woodhaven" on google........

when Gail had the link at the bottom of her post all the time!!!

Gail,

I too bought the Woodhaven sled a short while ago - only the large one. What a great piece of hardware. It has elevated my woodworking that much more. I had never been able to crosscut casework as quickly or accurately before. Great purchase!

However, I found that the orange plexiglas guard got "fogged" up with sawdust so much so that I couldn't see a thing. So I removed it. I suspect it had to do with the plexi getting charged with static and actually attracting the dust.

I also bought the deluxe miter guage with some of it's bells and whistles - sweet!

Good luck,

-joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Joe, I have heard of using dryer sheets for static, I will try it and let you know how I make out.

Thanks,

Just curious as to why you chose to buy rather than buy, I know that you are a pro so I am assuming that some of it has to do with its cheaper to buy rather build it so you can pump out furniture.

Also on the sled, did you have to put the rails on it or were they already in place to match your machine?
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

why not the deluxe sled

I just took a look at the Woodhaven site and the sleds seem very nice. My question is why would you not get a sled that can miter as well as cross-cut?. I had been considering a Smart Miter but these may do for less $'s

To answer some questions. I think that I can make a small jig to put on this to also do some mitering. I am always doing tons of cross cuts, so this is to discourage me from getting lazy and using my chop saw.

Why buy instead of build? Well, maybe it's the same reason that I go out to dinner instead of cooking...it is guaranteed to be better than what I can do, I don't have the time to do it myself and I really like to buy new tools.

But really, buying a piece like this from this type of company makes sense to me. It is a company that hand makes specialty jigs and that's it, that's what they do, they found their niche, they don't sell a million tools. So they are going to make sure what they sell is top quality. I would buy from them again.

I should have taken a picture of it before I put it all together, it comes in parts and you assemble it on your table saw so that it matches up to your stuff. so totally customizeable to your needs.

I am really pleased with it.

Oh, and this is the standard sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail O'Rourke
    But really, buying a piece like this from this type of company makes sense to me. It is a company that hand makes specialty jigs and that's it, that's what they do, they found their niche, they don't sell a million tools.
    Second that: one look at their site and I felt like I'd found the "Mother Lode" of jig parts and hardware.