Thread: Short hose to connect Dust Deputy to shop vac?

Short hose to connect Dust Deputy to shop vac?

I have a metal Dust Deputy hooked to a Rigid shop vac with the full length shop vac corrugated hose. I would like to use some thing shorter and "smoother" on the inside. I am considering a length of 2" PVC wire reinforced marine bilge pump hose and a couple of 90 degree fittings.

Oneida has an inexpensive gray 5' connector hose for sale , and I was wondering if I should just purchase this and save a bit of time and money verses a shopping trip to West Marine.

James,
    I am hoping you get other responses, as I also have a long shop vac hose running to the dust deputy and would like to switch it to something better when I build a cart for the two parts. I bought the dust deputy "deluxe" at Menards and got a short hose with the package. If that is what Oneida is selling, it is nothing special.
    I have often read comments in dust collector threads about NOT using 90 degree elbows because of their effect on airflow. I assume the same thing would apply here, though perhaps the difference in suction and air flow in a shop vacuum could change the dynamic. Maybe someone with more expertise can weigh in on that.

My rigid shop vac is connected to my dust deputy with 2 inch PVC pipe (rigid plastic pipe). I had to use a heat gun and mold the pipe some at both ends but it wasn't hard and didn't take long. I think the smooth insides help airflow significantly. I just slip the connections together so I can easily empty the drywall bucket. I have a 180 and a 90 but used the more gradual bend ones. I used to use a hose but like the pipe much better.

I found these 2 options:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...k?cm_vc=IOPDP1

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...k?cm_vc=IOPDP1

I will have to check the connection on the shop vac for compatibility.

My other thought is that a larger hose, say 3" or so, Between the dust deputy and shop vac might minimize the losses from the 270 degrees of "bend" between the 2 connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    James,
    I am hoping you get other responses, as I also have a long shop vac hose running to the dust deputy and would like to switch it to something better when I build a cart for the two parts. I bought the dust deputy "deluxe" at Menards and got a short hose with the package. If that is what Oneida is selling, it is nothing special.
    I have often read comments in dust collector threads about NOT using 90 degree elbows because of their effect on airflow. I assume the same thing would apply here, though perhaps the difference in suction and air flow in a shop vacuum could change the dynamic. Maybe someone with more expertise can weigh in on that.
    You can get a sweep 90 by using a long radius sanitary tee and plugging the unused port. These are fairly easy to find at a BORG in 2" PVC. Just pay attention to direction. You'll have a lot less resistance than a flex hose.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    My rigid shop vac is connected to my dust deputy with 2 inch PVC pipe (rigid plastic pipe). I had to use a heat gun and mold the pipe some at both ends but it wasn't hard and didn't take long. I think the smooth insides help airflow significantly. I just slip the connections together so I can easily empty the drywall bucket. I have a 180 and a 90 but used the more gradual bend ones. I used to use a hose but like the pipe much better.

Would like to see what you did and more info on how you molded the pipe.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    You can get a sweep 90 by using a long radius sanitary tee and plugging the unused port. These are fairly easy to find at a BORG in 2" PVC. Just pay attention to direction. You'll have a lot less resistance than a flex hose.
    You can also go to electrical isle and pick up the grey PVC conduit long sweep.

I checked out the conduit sweeps. They seem like they would increase the foot print of a mobile cart significantly, unless the shop vac port was raised above the dust deputy and only a single 90 degree bend is needed. I would like to be able to roll this mobile cart underneath a work bench so, I think it would be good to keep part of the connection flexible so I can easily unhook the hose when the vacuum is not in use to reduce its foot print (primarily vertical), and to make emptying the bucket easier.
    Would there be a downside to using a 3" hose for this application?

Just this weekend I made a connection between my ClearVue mini and a shop vac. I wanted to stack the two so I could move them as a single unit. The supplied hose was too short, so I used 2" PVC fittings. I sanded down the ends of the pipe to fit in the holes. I slipped some 2.5" flex pipe over the PVC so there is a flexible connection when I need to empty the bucket. I used 2 90 degree angles instead of long sweeps because I wanted to reduce the footprint. It still has plenty of suction.

The 2.5" flex pipe has a slightly larger inner diameter than the original pipe. It is also OK to go much bigger on this section of pipe because most of the dust has already been removed. There is no need to maintain a minimum air velocity that would be required before the dust deputy.

Steve

I just took a couple pictures of my dust deputy by 2 inch PVC one from the vacuum side and one from the cyclone side, both side views. You can also see my Bosch 5M hose hooked to the cyclone (nice slip fit) and my auto-on DSC switch. I have an extension cord wired to the outlet on the cart. It is heavy gauge wire because I plug my 15A table saw to the switch sometimes. The setup is short straight pipe that was molded using a heat gun at both the cyclone and vacuum end connected by a 90, a 180 and a little bit longer piece of straight pipe. All slip fit together. Doesn't come apart until I pull it apart to check or dump the bucket.

Shaping the PVC is simple. 2 inch PVC is a little small for the heavily tapered connections to the dust deputy. So on that end, I just cut about 8 inches of pipe, heated one end and shoved the hot PVC over the DD outlet. The other end goes into the 180 fitting, then another vertical pipe to a 90 that goes to another short pipe that goes into the Rigid. The main issue at the shop vac end was the fact that the inlet is not horizontal but angled slightly. And a little different diameter. But the heat gun allowed the pipe to go in and slant down. I let it cool in that configuration and it now won't come out. But I don't need it to so that isn't a big deal. All the connections are just slip fit. I take the 180 off to look at the dust level in the bucket under the cyclone. I also take it off so I can dump the bucket. I also pull the cart around by the 180 fitting sometimes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 03-04-2016 at 9:43 AM.