Thread: jimmy clewes classes

jimmy clewes classes

Am wanting to take a jimmy clewes class later this spring.
    Anyone out there taken one??
    Saw him at the 2014 aaw symposium in az and was thoroughly impressed. Quite the character.

Share your experience with me??
    drop me a pm would like to pick your brain

I took a group class with him at my SC turning club, and he was fantastic. In addition to being funny and charming, he is patient and encouraging. I've often thought of flying to Las Vegas and taking a week long class with him. Hopefully, what happens in Las Vegas would come back with me.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

If you are thinking of Jimmy's classes at his shop in Las Vegas, I'd strongly recommend doing it. I first took a 3 day hands-on demo from Jimmy with a group of others in Louisville, Ky. At the time, I had an article in Woodturning Design titled "Translucent Norfolk Island Pine." Jimmy asked me what I was doing there if I could produce the pieces shown in the article. I told him that when he saw my very poor tool handling he would see why I was there. Well, he saw it, agreed it needed major improvement and asked me to take his more individualized class in Vegas. I did and it was the best thing I've done in woodturning. I now spend a lot less time on each piece because my tools are sharper, my tool handling vastly improved, I'm sanding less and i'm having more enjoyment and producing better product. You'll find it's very worthwhile.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

I took a 5 day class with Jimmy a couple of years ago. Best learning experience I have ever had. Lots of tips on technique and design plus some good jokes. You will really enjoy the class.

Allen, my wife and I took a three day class at his studio in Vegas. What a great opportunity. The class sizes are really small and thus you get lots of one-on-one attention. He is very helpful and has a great sense of humor. A plus is that the lunches he serves are out of this world. We highly recommend you take the plunge.

Allen, Jimmy is doing a 5 day class in May at Craft Supplies...the week after the Utah Symposium. He is an excellent teacher.
    Greg

My first inclination is to go to vegas in june.
    vegas in june???? how hot is that gonna be
    everything i have seen and heard is exactly as you all mentioned. Guess he is quite a character and attentive to his students needs.

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    everything i have seen and heard is exactly as you all mentioned. Guess he is quite a character and attentive to his students needs.
    How hot? Hot as hell! I flew into Vegas, the flight was late so I arrived about midnight instead of 9:30 p.m. Avis was out of cars and instead of letting people know it, they did the paperwork and had us stand in line in a very hot garage waiting for cars to come in. Around 2 a.m. I gave up waiting and took a taxi to my hotel. The next morning I walked to Jimmy's house which I would guess was about 3/4's of a mile to a mile in 100+ degree heat. I'm a runner and long distance cyclist but that was still a chore in that heat.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    not as hot as it will be in July or August.

hot is relative
    hot as hell is an absolute
    going anyhow
    looking forward to it
    might even come back and actually have something worthy to post a picture of after i learn.