Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My recent CL find - Jet JPM 13. Want to see a Rebuild?

My recent CL find - Jet JPM 13. Want to see a Rebuild?

I pulled this out of a basement for cheap. It doesn't really look like it but it is a Jet Planer/Moulder. I will be using it as a moulder only because I have a 15" planer. My friend is building a house and wants to make his moulding so it also justified the purchase. It is missing the stand, switch, a couple of panels, and a few misc parts. I have it completely tore apart. The rollers are shot and off to Western Roller to get recoated. If anybody is interested in seeing this thing go back together, let me know. I know it is not as exciting as an old iron but it might help somebody in the future.

2. I'd like to see more Cary, always love to see tools brought back to working condition (old or not)...and I'm not sure how the moulding part works

Sign me up! I like seeing machines get fixed up.

Well lets get started.

Here are a few more before pictures.

Here is a better picture of the bad roller.

This is the outside of the gear box. These 2 gears are swapped to change the speeds between planer and molder. They are accessible through a hole in the side cover

The inside of the gear box is packed with grease instead of filled with oil.

Parts are cleaned.

What exterior parts I do have got updated to Rustoleum Canvas White.

Now I wait for parts

Count me in! I love watching a good rebuild.

I am still waiting for some parts. I took a chance on the Grizzly G1037Z hood and dust shoot fitting. They came on Wed. and they do not. They are not even close enough to try to make work so they wer sent back and the Jet parts were ordered.
    I decided to put the cutter head and gear box back in.

I found it interesting that the Jet uses a 6202 and 6203 bearing the the Grizzly uses a 6202 and 5204.
    The pulley side was the hardest to get the bearing on. I used a socket to get the bearing on the shaft. I then hade to improvise to get the bearing into the tool. This was my solution that uses clampsto pull it into place.

The gearbox sid is easier. The bearing is pressed into the gearbox and held in by a retaining ring. The shaft only goes in the bearing half way then a cap with a screw in gear holds it in place.

The gear box cover is ready to go on just need to fill ti with grease and close it up.

Put the cogs, gears, and chains on.

Pulley is slid on the shaft and held with a screw and retaining washer on the end. The anti kickback paws are strung back on the rod and screwed in place..

I have started on the stand.

Lookin good! Thanks for the update, looking forward to seeing more.

Looking good! I like how the base is looking, very sharp and clean.

That's going to be a very nice addition to your shop when you're done with this great restoration!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks like the rollers and the few remaining parts are coming tomorrow. Should finish this up this weekend. A little bit of paint and a poor pin stripe on the bottom and the base is about ready. The logos are just printed on inkjet sticker paper I had laying around from another project.

Last edited by Cary Falk; 03-16-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Looks great, excited to see the rest.

This is cool! It's really similar to the first planer my dad bought and that I learned about planing & snipe etc Nice job so far!

Quite an undertaking!! Good for you!!! Keep us posted...thanks
    Jerry

Sweet!! Keep it going until we see sweet molding pouring out the front!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.