Thread: Sorby spindle sizing jig trouble.

Sorby spindle sizing jig trouble.

Hi,

I got the sizing jig for xmas and fanally have a reason to use it.

The instructions re not very clear. I can't figurwe out to use it right. I keep getting a veru unclean cut. The diamter on one of my test cuts was smaller than the diameter I set the diameter too. It catches sometimes. I a using it with the Sorby 3/8" bedan.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Quinn

Took a bit to figure out what the tool is, but a bedan with a C type bracket on it and you adjust with set screws for a specific diameter?? If you set it to 2 inches, it does a lousy job of trying to size a 3 inch spindle. You have to get it close first. Taking it down 1/8 inch is pretty simple. I always set it a bit bigger so I can trim it down by hand to exact. One problem with setting it to the exact size is that it does leave a some what rough surface. Add to that if you are not perfectly square to the spindle, one corner of the tool will dig in farther than the other, so when you trim and clean up every thing, you end up undersized. If it is catching, most likely you don't have the bedan part on the tool rest because you (yea, I have done this more than once) are relying on the back part of the clamp to hold the tool onto the wood. Start with the bedan on the tool rest, then lower the back side of the C onto the wood. Mine is an old one, and only had one thumb screw. The newer ones have 2. I learned that it was necessary to tighten the thumb screw down with vice grips. I would think the same will probably be true with the 2 screw model. I don't use it much any more. Useful for a tenon, but not for a rolling pin. On a tenon, I use calipers. Just easier.

robo hippy

Thanks Reed.

I was hoping to be able to use it more agressivlely. Now Iknow.

Quinn