Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super dust deputy and HF dust collector.

Super dust deputy and HF dust collector.

I want to upgrade my dust collector system. I was thinking about a SDD or SDD XL. My system consists of 30 ft of 6 inch pipe and four drops that reduce to 4 inches at the tools. I have talked to Oneida, they said they have had people use the XL and the HF collector. The reason for trying to use the XL instead of the SDD is the inlet and outlet size I will not have to reduce or increase the piping. I also plan on adding a Wynn filter. Would the SDD XL,Wynn filter, and the HF collector be a good set up. Upgrading to true cyclone is just not in the budget at this time.

Oneida knows more than we do. If they say it is good...

Having said that, their website says you don't have enough DC for the XL. You probably don't have enough DC for 6" pipe either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Oneida knows more than we do. If they say it is good...

Having said that, their website says you don't have enough DC for the XL. You probably don't have enough DC for 6" pipe either.
    And your comments are based on what? Their website states that the unit is for 1-3 hp units. Yes, yes. I know that hp is not a true indicator of a unit's performance, however, it is what we have to go on many times. I use a SDD with a 2hp collector. I am using 6" mains. It works well. I am not saying it is optimum, I do not have the experience and stats for that statement. I do know that before I installed the 6" hard duct, I was using 5" flex. I see no improvement or reduction with the 6". Those are the facts as I have experienced them.
    Mike

Tim,

Using the HF collector with the SDD should work OK, within limits. Is it the best possible (optimum) solution available? No. There is always something better out there. However, we all do whatever we can according to our budget, space, abilities, etc.

I built a portable version of what you are proposing using a Penn State blower I already had. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...able-SDD-build. Mine uses a 1 HP motor with a 10" impeller. I would love to have a larger blower, but since I have no 220V power in my shop, I'm limited to about 1.5HP anyway. My system works very well, but I'm quite sure it does not capture as much dust as a larger Oneida or Clearvue. To guard against the fine dust, I use lots of ventilation and a dust mask.

I use the length of 6" clear flex pipe you see in the photos and hook up individually to each machine. I do feel my setup would be very marginal if I had a piping system hooked up to it. That size blower just can't move enough air for much piping. I know the HF blower is rated at 2HP, but others have checked it against the current ratings and if I recall correctly, it's actually a bit less than 1.5HP. The impeller is 10", so you would be moving about the same amount of air as I am. The thing that would make your idea work is a larger blower with a more powerful motor. If I had 220V power I would get a true 2HP blower with at least a 12" diameter impeller to mate with the SDD XL.

One really good step you have taken is to go with 6" pipe. Getting a DC to work properly is all about maximizing the airflow. I would suggest you change the 4" drops to 6" as well as modify the pickups on your machines to 6" or as close to that as possible. The 4" pipe will only flow so much air and will choke the airflow well below what the 6" pipe can handle.
    Last edited by James Gunning; 02-28-2016 at 11:49 AM.

There was a thread one time where someone put a 12" impeller on the HF blower. Said there was enough room in the housing for it to fit. Do a search.

If Oneida says itll work go for it. They are pretty good. I found working with them and theyre logic MUCH better than going off of the over recommended Bill Pentz site. That being said personally Im surprised youve been getting enough air moving with as long as your duct runs are and with a smaller blower like that HF one. Some day you should upgrade that to something like a V-3000 3HP. Youll appreciate the additional power.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    And your comments are based on what? Their website states that the unit is for 1-3 hp units.
    I think the comment was for the SDD XL. SDD is rated for 350-850 cfm / 1-3hp. SDD XL is rated for 3-5hp.

IMO, there's no way the HF DC is really pulling the advertised 1550 cfm.

I'm in a similar boat to you. Roughly 35 ft of 6 inch pipe going to 4 inch blast gates on my tools. I'm running a Powermatic Model 073 1.5 hp collector that needs an upgrade.

I think the SDD (standard) is the way to go and couple it with a true 2-2.75 hp DC with atleast a 12 inch blade. Adding a paper filter is a must IMO as well.

Bill pentz would have heart attack if he saw my system, but it works. I am still not sure about the XL over the regular SDD. The main reason for the upgrade is that I am tired of the bags.

Tim,

Same here. I have a 1 1/2 Jet 1100CFM (admittedly undersized only because I'm too tight to ^ to a 3HP blower) to a SDD and 6" pipe.
    Most of my machines are withing 12 feet of the collector.
    It works well enough to suit me. I still use respirator around drum sander and TS.

I think you're system will work. Only thing I might do is decrease the duct size the last 8 feet or so of the run.

Remember - Bill Pentz declared himself an expert. He does not have any engineering or medical credentials. His experience comes from the fact that he had a serious respiratory illness unrelated to woodworking (by his own description). I can understand why he would want to go overboard with dust collection. His situation is not necessarily universally applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    There was a thread one time where someone put a 12" impeller on the HF blower. Said there was enough room in the housing for it to fit. Do a search.
    The 12" impeller was from Rikon. Their 2HP DC is the identical unit from HF - other than paint and the impeller (which is 9" on the HF IIRRC).

When I had the HF unit I was thinking about the SDD and Rikon impeller. However, at that time Rikon had stopped selling the 12" impeller unless you could prove it was for their DC.

I kind of understood because you could get the larger impeller for about $50 and have the same setup as the Rikon for almost half the price.

Give them a call, maybe they have changed their stance. BTW - if possible to upgrade, you should notice a substantial improvement in the HF unit.
    Last edited by Cyrus Brewster 7; 02-29-2016 at 5:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Brewster 7 View Post
    The 12" impeller was from Rikon. Their 2HP DC is the identical unit from HF - other than paint and the impeller (which is 9" on the HF IIRRC).
    Maybe, but maybe not.
    The 2hp Rikon has a 12" impeller and draws 16a. The 1.5hp is 10" and draws 10a.
    I have seen both 16a and 13a given for the HF and if it has a 9" impeller it must have a different motor than the Rikon.
    Perhaps the HF will burn up with a 12" impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Maybe, but maybe not.
    The 2hp Rikon has a 12" impeller and draws 16a. The 1.5hp is 10" and draws 10a.
    I stand corrected - it is 10". But the Rikon (or others) should still work.

Tim,

Here is a link to one of several threads: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...eight-Impeller .
    You can also search "rikon impeller on harbor freight".

I used the HF DC with a Super Dust Deputy.
    While using it, I thought it was adequate. Great seperation, but could have used more CFM.

When I moved my shop and dropped the 5" ducting, I had a lot of chips and shavings left in the ducts.
    I sold it, and bought a 3hp oneida.
    With 6" ducting, I'd be willing to bet that there would be alot of dust and chips in the pipes.

I think that I am going to just save for a cyclone instead of putting money into the current set up.