Thread: Comments on LV Small Plane beading and Depth Stop Mods.

Comments on LV Small Plane beading and Depth Stop Mods.

LV's modification of the Small Plow Plane for beading has me wondering what effect it might have on normal other uses. Would appreciare your commennts.

Also, The depth stop mod is something that is badly needed but it's not clear to me (from the picture) how this is accomplished.

I have an older LV Small Plow Plane and am interested in both mods but would like clarification before pulling the trigger.

Well Don, you are in luck! I took a couple of pics today while making slips for drawers ...

Small Plow Plane ploughing a groove ..

The new depth stock is excellent. I've been using it for a while now, and it has been reliable. I am still inclined to use the slot I cut in the screw head to lock it down a little more snuggly, but that is now just a habit speaking.

Basically, Lee Valley designed a small add-on to shift the position of the screw. It now longer tightens a collar over the depth stop shaft, but enables the screw to directly contact the shaft of the depth stop.

A hex bolt holds the add-on where the old screw held down the collar ...

Screw centred on the shaft ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Well Don, you are in luck! I took a couple of pics today while making slips for drawers ...

Small Plow Plane ploughing a groove .. [snip]

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Can you please post a picture of the skate mod? All of these are from the left side of the plane, and I'm not seeing any difference....

Blog Entries
    I was so happy to see this upgrade. Sadly I need a little more time to save up $450 for the kit, but I have a house full of shutters to make, all of which have a bead on the edge, and I wanted to make it by hand. My wooden beading planes are a bit worn. Certainly starting a "buy Malcolm a plow plane" fund. Go Fund Me campaign forthcoming...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Can you please post a picture of the skate mod? All of these are from the left side of the plane, and I'm not seeing any difference....
    Hi Patrick

I have not used the skate mod. My plane is not set up for it yet.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    There is a rear view in the LV Video. If you pause it at the right spot you can get a look. It looks like they taper the bottom inside (left side, on a right handed model) so it will fit in the cutter's groove and arch around the bead.

Derek
    Your excellent pictures clearly show the new depth stop and it’s function. Ir appears to be a good improvement and I certainly will go for it. Thanks for going to the trouble of taking these photos and providing your experience with the depth stop mod.

From your experience in using a SPP that has the beading mod did you find any problems caused by the mod during regular use such as rabbeting, T & GING, etc? Are you going to have the beading mod done on your SPP ? My concern is will the beading mod degrade it
    ’;s performance in any way.

Malcom,
    $450.00 is a huge chunk of money to meals. In my case, I purchased the SPP first and then added various cutters to a few of my orders after that. It is more expensive my way but easier to justify each time. YMMV.

Milton Ralphs.

Just noticed your SPP post as I went to post this reply. Did not mean to duplicate your SPP post. Hope to get a chance to read yours today - there’s a good chance my questions have already been answeresd.
    My apologies.

From your experience in using a SPP that has the beading mod did you find any problems caused by the mod during regular use such as rabbeting, T & GING, etc? Are you going to have the beading mod done on your SPP ? My concern is will the beading mod degrade it
    ’;s performance in any way.
    Hi Don

I cannot answer your questions as I do not have the beading mod on my Small Plow.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Sorry, - my mistake. I must be wrong about you trying a modified SPP for beading. Thought I had read it somewhere - but, then again, my mind is cluttered from all the WW articles I've read. Now if I could spend more time ww ing and less time on the computerI'd be better off.