Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port-Cable dovetail jig

Port-Cable dovetail jig

I'm building a chest of drawers and plan to dovetail all of the drawers. I have had a dovetail jig, which I think came from Grizzly, about 25 years ago. It is the same shape that Grizzly still sells and its the same one from HF and other generic makers. I tried it out after not using it for 20 years. The joint was ok, but not great, and just getting the jig to accept the wood before clamping it was a pain. It would be difficult to produce 28 dovetailed joints on it.

But, that means I'm looking for a new dovetail jig. The only one that looks good that is in my price range (up to $150) is the Porter-Cable 42xx series. What are people's experiences with this jig? Or are there other jigs I should consider?

I also had one of those jigs of unkown origin with the horrible documentation. Gave up on it.
    Picked up a PC 42xx, much easier to setup, nice documentation, plenty of secondary info available on how to.
    It's the only one I have now.
    Don't do a whole lot of dovetail stuff but when I ready to, the PC has done pretty well.

I even went as far to jig up a dust collection rig for it.
    4212 rack 5.jpg

I like the dust collection! Much better than getting pelted with chips.

Those fixed spacing dovetail jigs have certain limitations. If your drawers are different sizes, which is common for a chest of drawers, you'll have to go through a set up for each drawer. Also, since the spacing is fixed, you may not get the kind of spacing that you like on the top and bottom of the drawer.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but for a chest of drawers with different size drawers, the best thing is to hand cut them. You can learn to make workman like hand cut dovetails fairly quickly (meaning dovetails with decent sized pins, not those real skinny pins).

Take the money you'd spend on the jig and buy a good dovetail saw, a dovetail marker, and a wheel marking gauge (such as the Lee Valley one). You can find tutorials all over the web, including this one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Greg,

We just completed a kitchen remodel which included new cabinets. I made all of the drawers. I purchased the Porter Cable dove tail jig. I purchased the drawer material from a local hardwood supply - 5/8" soft maple which worked great. I did half-blind dove tails on the 2 front corners. After getting the jig set up, several experimental runs, some adjustments, it worked extremely slick; actually a piece of cake. This was my first experience, I was a little concerned, but now I'd highly recommend this jig.

Yeah, the fixed spacing can be a pain but the documentation has guidance on sizes where the dovetails work out and the same setup can be used through out, just have to design within the parameters of the jig.

OPTIMAL BOARD WIDTHS The 4200 series dovetail jigs are capable of making joints up to 12". However, some widths will produce a more attractive joint than others. The optimal widths for creating dovetails are in 1" increments plus 1/4" (1-1/4", 2-1/4", 3-1/4", etc.)
    Where a problem would be is off sizes relative to the jig's layout, which unfortunately can happen if care is not taken during design.

Greg - Here's my experience from a couple of years ago. I really enjoy having this around. Just take your time with the setup and have some scrap wood around and you'll wish you would've bought one sooner...good luck!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...loat&highlight=

Greg

The PC 42xx series will do exactly what you want it to do. Be sure to download the addendum. It covers more than the instruction manual in the box. (I have no idea what PC just doesn't include it, but they don't.)
    It will take you a few hours to set it up and give it a whirl, but after that you'll be moving pretty quick.
    PS.
    Have a dedicated router for each bit.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I really disliked the Porter Cable. The hold downs had too much flex for me. The stops for half blind dovetails were not cut properly and to make drawer parts fit, I was using tape to pad out the stops. The unit just felt cheap to me. Getting it to reproduce consistent results was a lesson in futility. I sprung for a good used Leigh D4R with the dust collection unit and never looked back. After the learning curve (maybe 30 mins) I produced twelve sets of dovetails in no time. All fit precisely.

To each his own I guess. YMMV

I don't think I know about the addendum Mike and I did a quick search online and came up with nothing. Could be that the shop kicked my tail today and tired. Would appreciate a link, or any help. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Greg

The PC 42xx series will do exactly what you want it to do. Be sure to download the addendum. It covers more than the instruction manual in the box. (I have no idea what PC just doesn't include it, but they don't.)
    It will take you a few hours to set it up and give it a whirl, but after that you'll be moving pretty quick.
    PS.
    Have a dedicated router for each bit.

Greg
    I apologize, I asked a question and didn't bother to answer your question, very rude. I have the 4200 that is adjustable and comes with two other setups for different type dovetails. It took me a while to understand the concept but I now use it every week. The results I get are great and I think it will work perfectly for what you are looking for

Maybe this is what he's talking about?

http://go.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000211AA.pdf

My only issue with the Proter Cable jig was the edge guides when making half blind Dovetails. The bottoms of the drawer sides never matched up exactly no matter what. The jig is easy enough to use and get good dovetails. I got a good deal on a Leigh D4R so I sold the PC.

The Leigh and the big PC jigs are fine but the OP has his budget.

When I was looking for a more versatile jig I was looking at the big Akeda , went to pull the trigger and couldn't locate one, figures.

Anyhoo, the 4200 is a reasonably good middle ground between the el-cheapos and the cream of the crop jigs. At least he'll have something to work with until that 'bargain' crops up allowing him to upgrade.

If you bought the 4210 or 4212 you can also buy the Miniture Dovetail template for as well. And the additonal manual is worth the download.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=16403