Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G&G Blanket Chest

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    How did you cut the recesses/corresponding ebony plugs so precisely? I'm wondering if given the large numbers of these on this piece if you found it worthwhile to use a jig and hollow chisel morticer/drill press/router or if you cut them by hand?

All the best, Mike
    Hey Mike,

I make the square holes for the ebony plugs with a dedicated mortiser chisel(s) and a hammer. Please see photo #5 of post #1 (bottom left corner of picture).
    Since walnut is so dark I put blue painter tape down so my tired eyes can see the pencil lines. After I carefully lay out each hole I use a small 3" square to help square/align the mortiser chisel. Then hammer the chissel in as straight as I can.
    The key to nice plugs is to cut the plugs slightly larger then the holes (about a 32") and taper the side of the plugs by sanding. I do this by holding a 3" piece of 220 sandpaper with my left hand on a flat surface and stroke the plug sides using right hand in a rocking motion until taper is achieved (about 5 strokes per side). Apply glue into the mortise hole. Then gently tap the tapered plug into the hole SLIGHTLY expanding the hole as the plug goes in. I use a rubber mallet for this, go slowly holding my breath and watching to ensure it is going in square.

Hope this helps
    Curt

Blog Entries
    Curtis, thanks a lot for the advice. Again a great job with your project!

I definitely look forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks again for posting.

Best, Mike