Thread: Excellent demo video: Stanley 4 tune up

Excellent demo video: Stanley 4 tune up

Here is my favorite YouTuber guy David W showing us how he takes a garage-sale Stanley 4 and setting it up to cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InbpoRcQyI0

Tremendous amount of good information here. Note the blade and chipbreaker grinding, stoning, and polishing. Note the sandpaper-on-glass lapping.

Yep! I'm with ya on David. His VERY practical approach to caring for tools is a much needed style.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    That was indeed refreshing. I'm sorry he feels he has to defend himself from some previous grousers. Too often folks presenting similar information get lost in trying to be very concise and complete. This is not a bad thing but, can give listeners the impression that things are more complex than they are.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

He knows his stuff and I learned a bunch for sure - never thought of using gun blue on bare metal sides of plane for instance... but he could sure use an editors help and the camera angles are atrocious.

I kinda like that it wasn't edited, it proves those who always poo poo getting an old Stanley as requiring too much work and expertise to clean and set up as utterly and completely wrong. "Oh no, tut tut, you must get a LN or LV plane so that you know what a well set up plane feels like instead of spending weeks and months trying to rehabilitate rusty crappy vintage Stanley."
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

It's a great demonstration that one can have planes that work exceptionally well with a minimal outlay of time and money. $30-$40 and a half hour of work is pretty reasonable investment for a tool that will remove wood just like a premium plane.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Is that the same David that used to post here often?

Answered my own question. It obviously is Mr. Weaver. Videos are quirky but informative...much like the man.