Thread: Arauco plywood at the Homey D

Thumbs up Arauco plywood at the Homey D

For the past few months I've been walking past an end-cap stack of nominal 3/4" (I think it's 23/32") Arauco plywood. This stuff is stamped "araucoply.com" on the edge, says made in Chile, and has a sticker on it that has the barcode and the same website listed. I bought a sheet a while back and used it to build some rough shelves for my office at work. Nothing special but the price, roughly $30 per sheet.

Today I was in the store and saw that the endcap they normally stocked the stuff, had a different product - something like a 2.4 mm 'backing sheet' of what appeared to be luan plywood, the stuff looked like it had been left out in the rain for days. I've seen less warp in Star Trek reruns. Well, I needed 3/4" plywood so I looked at the other *ahem* 'quality products' they had. For only another $10, I could get a sheet of poplar plywood, which also had a case of the taco shell disease and the face plys were no thicker than cardstock. B face, and maybe a C-D back, full of knots and checks. The birch and oak weren't much better, for even more money.

Well, I thought, maybe they moved it? Let's find an 'associate'. Normally they're in your face like paparazzi, even if they don't have a clue about the products they sell. Of course, when you're actually looking for assistance, there's none to be found, but I did manage to track down one of the nearby Cheeto-lookalikes and asked him what happened to the endcap. Turns out it was indeed moved, to a permanent home in the aisle. Yay me. I put the poplar taco shell back and went in search of the Arauco product. The top sheet, as always, seemed to be a protective device and must have been fished out of the dumpster. I pulled a nice sheet out from underneath. 7 plies, face plies are a solid 1/16"+ (closer to 3/32"), probably a B-B or B-C grade to my untrained eye, and sanded very smooth one side. A bonus is that it does not smell like third-world beaver vomit when cut.

For rough work, including paint-grade work and especially shop cabinets (which I will need some quantity of in the near future), I really like this product. Of course, now that I have made that statement in public, they'll probably drop it next week in favor of something like recycled OSB. I wish I had a place to stockpile 20 sheets in case that happened. It's almost cheap enough to use for the interior walls of my shop. If they had a 1/2" product I'd be all over it.

One thumb up and a half-hearted hoorah for Arauco plywood at H-D. That's all for today folks.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

i use this stuff for speaker building never had any problems other then it was gone for years when their plant burnt down. they have stocked it for over 5 years so your safe.

HD in my area has been stocking Arauco ply for a few years. I agree, it is decent for the price and has good thick outer plys.

Steve

Plywood good for shop cabinets can be found at HD, in my area the better quality ply can be had the supplier thats works with trade.

I get most of your dysphemism's except "I did manage to track down one of the Cheeto-lookalikes" whats that?

Bill
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

I've used it for substrate for laminate counter tops for years. Just today was visiting a job we did in 2008 using Arruco ply. Still holding up, and it's in a pool house with very high humidity.

I think he is comparing the orange vests to cheeto's cheese.

I don't believe it.

I mean, the plywood, sure.

But an engineer with a sense of humor who can write?

I've used a lot of that, 1/2" and 3/4". I found it cheaper at a real lumber yard when I bought it by the bundle but HD was good for small quantities.

Note that it's made of Radiata pine, a plantation-grown species not noted for it's rot resistance (heartwood is rated as non-durable to perishable). Sometimes companies use radiata for the wood on exterior door frames and if not well treated it will rot in a few years at the bottom. Should be fine untreated for interior use.

JKJ

I used the Aruaco ply f o r my shop cabinets. I must of used 20 sheets of 3/4" and 10 of the 1/2". I bought it at Menards where they store the sheets flat. It was great with few voids and great face quality.

I will not buy any plywood from a place that stores and ruins it on the racks with arms. Too often it gets warped that way and has a wave from the arms.

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    "I did manage to track down one of the Cheeto-lookalikes" whats that?
    Home Depot employees. Dressed all in bright orange, can't help but visualize them as giant Cheetos.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I don't believe it.

I mean, the plywood, sure.

But an engineer with a sense of humor who can write?
    It's rare, but it happens occasionally. Just like the plywood.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I just used about a dozen sheets on a commercial project, largely for unseen stuff and doubled up as a base for formica countertops. I was reasonably happy with it, considering. I did have one sheet that was perfectly flat when i got it to the shop, but the following morning resembled a potato chip for some reason, but no issues with the other sheets.
    My offcuts will become shop fixtures.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

@ Jon & Mac. Thanks for the explanation. I've never heard that expression before, I should get out more.

Bill
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Menards advertises plywood Made In the USA.
    http://www.menards.com/main/building...06039782151468

Anyone use it and have an opinion on quality?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale