Thread: 6" bench top jointer vs. cabinet style

6" bench top jointer vs. cabinet style

I currently have a 6” Delta table top jointer and am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to a cabinet style. I really don’t have room for a 8” model, plus I would need to add in a 220 outlet. I need to make a decision fairly quickly as I have been given permission to buy tools for a short time AND then no more. If it is not really a big upgrade then it is probably not worth it. Also, if so would a Grizzly or Jet or Shop Fox be better buys. Can’t really afford anything else.

There's little question that a cast iron floor unit has a bunch of advantages over a portable benchtop jointer... more mass, more torque, more capacity, better accuracy, much quieter, and has better long term reliability, etc. Much like going from a portable table saw to a stationary saw. Whether or not its worth the extra cost is more debatable....I'd be inclined to think so, especially if you'll be do a lot more woodworking with dimensional lumber over the years. If you could find a good used one, it'd be a no brainer IMO. Otherwise, the Grizzly and the Ridgid are the best bang for the buck in new 6" floor jointers IMO....~ $600 for either. Closer to $700 for the Shop Fox and $900 for the Jet, and I don't think you'll be gaining any capability from those.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I went from the Delta you have to 6" Jet floor model to an 8" shop Fox. The upgrade from bench top to stationary is huge. The main thing is the weight. power, and the length of the tables(most are 42") makes it easier to joint longer and heavier boards. I see a lot of 6" jointers on CL so I would go used if you can. You might have a different CL environment.

Maybe a little like going from a jobsite table saw to a cabinet saw...
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

What you want to use your jointer for including the size of material you want to work is relevant to the decision. If you work with primarily small components that are not long in length, then a smaller unit will work just fine. The advantage to the heavier floor-standing jointer is that it's usually quieter, runs smoother and can handle larger components in both width and length.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...