Thread: Question about Waterlox for butcherblock countertop

Question about Waterlox for butcherblock countertop

Hello all. I built a butcherblock countertop for my kitchen island out of maple, walnut and cherry. I was originally planning to finish it with mineral oil and beeswax, but we'll be using this as a place to eat and we have a messy four-year-old (is there any other kind?) and friends who like red wine (is there any other kind?). I don't think I can be diligent enough about caring for it with oil and wax to prevent disaster if someone spills a glass of wine or my kid spills something, so I've decided to go the Waterlox route to protect the wood better. We won't use it as a cutting board, so knife marks aren't an issue.

I want a satin sheen, and the Waterlox web site says to use the medium sheen sealer and finish (which I hear is quite glossy) first and then finish it off with the satin sheen. This stuff is expensive, so I'd really like to avoid buying both the medium and satin if possible. My question is, is it really necessary to do the original medium sheen first and then the satin? I don't really get why that would be, but I've also never used Waterlox before. I don't want to spend $70 or $80 for two products if the one will do, but I also won't jeopardize the project to save $35 or $40.

Any advice about this from those who are more experienced than me? Thanks!

i have had bad luck with odor from watelox being persistent. i would consider behlen salad bowl finish. food safe when dry, and better protection. you might have to knock the gloss with very fine 3m pad. experiment first.

Waterlox is fine. The odor dissipates quickly enough. I use it like that to save on the cost of the satin. If you could rub out the finish perfectly, just use the gloss. However, the satin is really nice and fills in all the tiny imperfections you can't see.

Dan

I would highly recommend Osmo Top Oil. It is a wax/oil blend that is built for finishing countertops and butcherblocks. It is food safe and dries hard without creating a thick film finish. And since it is primarily a wax blend, you can restore the finish with another wipe-on coat of Top Oil.

Great stuff.

TedP

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00