Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum pumps

Vacuum pumps

I have been toying with the idea of adding a vacuum pump to my collection of tools and have the opportunity to purchase one second hand 1HP Thomas pump
    with a small tank. Apparently it is lightly used and was previously used for vacuum chucking previously. He is asking 300 for the set up. Is that a far deal? Is a tank really needed for this purpose, seems like tanks go with compressors and not for vacuuming? Is there a better "entry level" set up for the casual user that I should be considering instead?

thanks,
    Derekimage.jpeg
    Not allowed

You don't need a tank for vacuum chucking. Even if it is "lightly used" that's a high price for a used pump. Have you researched to see what it would cost new? A new Gast pump--the vacuum chucking benchmark-- would run you between $400 -$500.

That model vacuum pump is heavy duty and sells new for $1000.

I think that style of vacuum pump and tank would be used with flat work on a CNC. At least that is the only place I have seen them used. I see no reason it could not be used on the lathe also.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I just recently started looking into vacuum systems, but get confused with what I need to really accomplish this. I see the gast pump and the harbor freight pumps, but also see things like vacuum generators, and gauges, and a Hold Fast 6" Vacuum Chuck System. So I just end up doing nothing. It only camp up again because I came across this pump forsale
    Not allowed

I got a vacuum system from frugalvacuumchuck.com and am very pleased with it. It came as a complete unit, like plug and play except you had to make the vacuum chuck but he sent a PVC coupler and a piece of wood to make it with. Nice person to do business with. It is a recycled medical vacuum pump. The price is right, forgot what it was as it been year and I have trouble remembering what I did yesterday.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Voigt View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of adding a vacuum pump to my collection of tools and have the opportunity to purchase one second hand 1HP Thomas pump
    with a small tank. Apparently it is lightly used and was previously used for vacuum chucking previously. He is asking 300 for the set up. Is that a far deal? Is a tank really needed for this purpose, seems like tanks go with compressors and not for vacuuming? Is there a better "entry level" set up for the casual user that I should be considering instead?

thanks,
    Derekimage.jpeg

Just finished putting together a vacuum system so I can tell you what I learned the hard way. Many places will airily claim all of the Thomas pumps are the same. The CFM varies from pretty marginal to a bodacious plenty while the vacuum will remain the same. Not unusual to have leakage including through the wood you are trying to hold, around various components of your system too.

If this is one of the high CFM pumps in good shape it is a good deal at $300 for it and the reservoir. A vacuum tank can come in handy if you lose power or hit the wrong switch, or if you get a sudden leak. Not a must but not a bad thing to have on a vacuum system going to a lathe.

Now the bad news: I went with locally sourced brass fittings to put my vacuum system together, over seventy-five dollars worth of bits and pieces of brass and hoses. You can make your own vacuum chucks but if you buy those I think they run about seventy-five apiece. Another big hit is the adapter to go to your spindle or a piece of lamp tubing to carry the vacuum. You can buy plastic fittings and save a lot of money but you need to be able to get all you need in a trip or two, fourteen trips to the hardware and supply house gets pretty expensive.

If the pump isn't quite as cherry as advertised it probably won't matter if it is a high CFM pump, even if it needs a top end kit they are only about $20. These pumps are intended to run for thousands of hours and the bottom ends are almost bulletproof, odds are slim of needing the bottom rebuilt.

Just at a SWAG you would probably be looking at $450-$500 by the time you completed your system. You might have the most killer system on the block when you do and be the envy of all your friends. However, if the idea is to get a vacuum system working without spending more than you need to, look up Frugal Vacuum Chucks or something like that. His best units will set you back about three hundred I believe as a turn key deal. I would have been ahead of the game had I went with one of his systems and wouldn't have spent several months puttering around back and forth putting it together. I do have the nicest vacuum system on the block now but not knowing what I told you about CFM, I bought a used pump that is on the low end of CFM. It will work but I have to be careful about leakage.

If that is a high volume pump it could be nice for your wood stabilizing system, your vacuum chuck for carving, and your vacuum table for flat work as well as your lathe chuck. I'm not advising to buy or not buy but I am advising to do your homework. What the pump is worth and what it is worth to you may or may not be the same thing. I needed a winch for a wrecker. I was offered a fantastic deal on a Tulsa winch that weighed more than my wrecker! A great deal but not for me.

Hu

Derek,
    I have had both a Gast 0523 Vacuum Pump system (shop assembled with homemade vacuum chucks) and just recently I purchased a Holdfast System with a 3" and 6" vacuum chuck using a small Makita pancake compressor. Each has its advantages, but both produced very adequate vacuum between 22-29 HG's, which is enough for most Wood turning projects. It all about what your needs are.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Another option is JT Turning Tools, Tom sells one of, if not the best vacuum adapters which generally include a handwheel machined to fit the standard adapter to your lathe. He also sells a pump, a hardware kit and vacuum hubs. I only own the adapter, so I can not speak to the others although I have seen many good remarks on SMC about his wares.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

You might also check out Joewoodworker.com. He is another source for kits and instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Glass View Post
    Derek,
    I have had both a Gast 0523 Vacuum Pump system (shop assembled with homemade vacuum chucks) and just recently I purchased a Holdfast System with a 3" and 6" vacuum chuck using a small Makita pancake compressor. Each has its advantages, but both produced very adequate vacuum between 22-29 HG's, which is enough for most Wood turning projects. It all about what your needs are.
    Here in lies more confusion for me.... where does a compressor come into play in this set up. I have a 30 gallon compressor in my shop, does that open up my options, or do I need a vacuum pump no matter what??
    Not allowed

you wouldn't need a vacuum pump if you go the compressor route.

Derek,
    The Vacuum Generator of the Holdfast system converts air pressure from your air compressor into vacuum using its Vacuum Generator. See here for details. http://www.stickfast.net/holdfast/holdfast.html
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Quote Originally Posted by hu lowery View Post
    Now the bad news: I went with locally sourced brass fittings to put my vacuum system together, over seventy-five dollars worth of bits and pieces of brass and hoses. You can make your own vacuum chucks but if you buy those I think they run about seventy-five apiece. Another big hit is the adapter to go to your spindle or a piece of lamp tubing to carry the vacuum. You can buy plastic fittings and save a lot of money but you need to be able to get all you need in a trip or two, fourteen trips to the hardware and supply house gets pretty expensive.
    My experience hasn't been quite as bad - I've put together two complete systems over the past several years - one for my bench-mounted carving stand and one for the lathe. Both pumps together cost less than $125.00. That got me an older Thomas/Reichle rocking piston type and a brand new, surplus inventory Gast 0523. If you look around enough, you can find good deals on pumps. And, as Hu points out, rebuild kits are cheap and readily available.

The hardware, fittings, hoses and gauges - including a portable air tank from HF to use as a reserve put me out about $100. I splurged on a good Adapter from JT Turning Tools - when I bought it several years ago with my AB it added $89 to the cost. I was able to put together two complete systems - minus the chucks which I made myself from shop materials and extra faceplates cost just a little over $300.

As for plans, the AAW Journal had a good article a few years back, it's available on-line for members, there's also a permanent link (or there used to be one) on their forum to information on vacuum systems from the same guy that wrote the article I think. Veneer Supplies has plans for systems that work well (also good prices on hardware and the bits and pieces).

It's not a difficult build, just do your homework and take your time to get the best deals.

+1 for frugal vacuum chucks. Great deal, set up and working in less than an hour. Got mine last year at SWAT, and I love it!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association