Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tool Chest

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Be careful about what you might use to finish cypress(if you apply a finish). Paint does not adhere well to it. I made a large "parcels" box out of cypress years ago. The cypress outlasted the steel screws holding the hinges. I left the cypress unfinished.
    Thanks George. BTW, that's funny, not often wood out lasts steel :-). I'll look at different seal coats, if none work, then just some BLO.

ken

Yes,the steel screws rusted so badly,they got entirely too small to stay in the wood!

About the same as iron screws used in oak boards...

<quote>There is only so much beer, whisky and tacos a man can enjoy at one time.</quote>

Challenge Accepted! That wood looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    There is only so much beer, whisky and tacos a man can enjoy at one time.
    Blasphemy! Absolute blasphemy I tell you!
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Trust me guys, last trip to Mexico I pushed the limit. After three days it sure was nice to be back in the shop .

Ken,

I was wondering about a vise. I don't have a shop yet, but am thinking strongly about building a relatively small one. After that there will be space for bigger projects, like a bench.

I have wanted a traditional European type bench, but also thought about a portable bench. An English bench has never really appealed, but for a portable bench, this bench really looks like it has possibilities.

That said, in the past I have wondered about how a vise on such an English bench would be set up and work, so am very interested in what you will build. By the way, what is a "QR" vise?

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-07-2016 at 9:40 PM.

"QR" vise is a Quick Release vise.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

I was wondering about a vise. I don't have a shop yet, but am thinking strongly about building a relatively small one. After that there will be space for bigger projects, like a bench.

I have wanted a traditional European type bench, but also thought about a portable bench. An English bench has never really appealed, but for a portable bench, this bench really looks like it has possibilities.

That said, in the past I have wondered about how a vise on such an English bench would be set up and work, so am very interested in what you will build. By the way, what is a "QR" vise?

Stew
    Stew,

Once I start the bench build, posts and photos will follow.

At times I've worked on many of the traditional benches including European, French, and English. I've built both French and English, my current main bench is a cross between French and English. French bones and English skin. Of the benches I've worked on my preference is English mostly because they are very simple and the apron is less trouble than a Bench Jack or sliding Deadman plus I almost never have a use for a tail vise. Too many gizmos on a bench just get in the way of working. Of course as always YMMV.

I also like the older English QR (Quick Release) vises such as a Record 52 used as a face vise. I've mounted the vise both proud and flush, currently flush but it's a toss up which is better. One way works easier for some operations and so on, no true better way just preference.

Damn Bubba, you don't have to build a clock every time someone asks the time.....

ken

I'm almost through prepping the panels for the tool chest build. Steve Voigt send me a new Jack, it arrived just in time to help with the panels. What a sweet plane, While I used the ECE Try for some of the prep, most of the grunt work was done by the PhillyPlane Jack and Steve's Jack. with final smoothing done with Steve's Smoother. The PhillyPlane Jack has a lot of camber, just slightly less than the ECE scrub, Steve's came with almost perfect camber for a Jack. Working the three of 'em made getting the panels ready for dovetailing a piece of cake.

I made an unforced error cutting one of the panels to final size and left a big honking knot right in the dovetail line. Can you say "Condor Tail" to work around the knot. Anyway here are the three on the final panel, from left to right the PhillyPlane Jack, Steve's Jack. and Steve's Smoother:

A glamor shot of the three, all beautifully made. Of the two Jacks if I had to only keep only one it would be Steve's:

Thanks Steve, it is a wonderful plane.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 03-22-2016 at 9:19 PM.

Yep it looks fantastic!

Blog Entries
    Looks great! I like the notations on the side of the panel, for grain direction?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Ken,
    That was fast--yay priority mail! Glad you like it.
    Any idea what the bed angle is on that philly plane? It's a nice looking plane!
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Thanks guys,

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Looks great! I like the notations on the side of the panel, for grain direction?
    Busted :-). Old habit, helps keep me from making too many mistakes and quicker than looking for grain direction each time I pick up a board.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Ken,
    That was fast--yay priority mail! Glad you like it.
    Any idea what the bed angle is on that philly plane? It's a nice looking plane!
    Steve,

The timing was perfect, I'd roughed out the panels with a scrub plane and the Philly Jack and was getting ready to prep 'em for the smoother with one of the #5's. I was not looking forward to it, They, the metal planes, are too heavy and hard to push even when waxed and on these wide board I needed to be able to plane both right & left handed. It is easy to do with a wood stock not so much with a metal. Bottom line, your Jack saved me from OD'ing on Advil.

The Philly is a nice plane, this is not packing sand, yours is nicer to use (other folks MMV) I expect for several reasons. The Philly is slightly bigger, the iron is single and bedded at 50* and currently has too much camber. Over time as I sharpen that will change. Both are good Jacks, just slightly different, but I'm glad you are doing what you are doing.

ken