Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's keep politics off SMC

Let's keep politics off SMC

After reading (I know, I could choose not to) all the posts regarding the price of drywall, oil, etc, I'd like to appeal to everyone to keep political discussions off SMC, or at least off the General Woodworking Forum.

Personally, I am politically active & a staunch ------- (you'll have to guess), but I don't come to this website for political insight or discussion. It always bothers me when threads such as that mentioned earlier morph into semi-political bash sessions. I'm as passionate as anyone about the issues facing our contry and world, but I come to SMC to learn about, share & discuss woodworking, not to get my dander raised by people making blanket statements about political issues that obviously will bring dissagreement from at least 50% of the SMC members (OK, deep breath). Lamenting the cost of drywall or oil is fine. Placing political blame for these price hikes is for talk radio.

There's enough stress in all our lives, especially with the modern 24 hour news media. Lets do ourselve's a favor and not add to people's stress here.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Vermeil; 09-13-2005 at 1:56 PM.

I agree with you on this one Mike. When I open a thread it is to either learn something about WW or to see if I can help someone with a WW question.

Ditto Mike and Don. I find this a refuge from alot of that stuff.
    Thanks,
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Amen. I come here to escape the outside world.

I completely agree... I looked at the dry wall post and saw where it was headed and I have not even looked at it since.... besides it's hard to keep up on a post that has more than 12 replies...
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I also have to agree with this...I do have stong political opinions but they have zero to do with the act of woodworking, design and home improvement. And it's not up to the "moderators" to police this...it's up to the posting members to remember where they are. And you can always have a nice exchange via PM or email with folks that have opposing views...something I've done any number of times and we all lived through what was really a pleasant exchange of dialog. (That includes my father, by the way...we are very much at different spectrums...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree. I have got caught up in the moment a few times...easy to do these days I guess.

I agree with all of the above comments. I have the same opinions and daily stresses that anyone else has. This place is my retreat from all of that. That's why I spend a lot more time here than other forums!

It's in the TOS

Quoting from the TOS:

D. Forum Moderation
    The forums at SawMill Creek are moderated. [snip]
    1. Religion and Politics
    All members shall abstain from engaging in religious or political debate.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

I agree also with poly sci topics as well. Personally, I could care less. But unlike many hobbies, this one has a major flaw. Raw Goods! I think its great when fellow woodworkers find new and novel ways to keep the lumber costs down and to show us how to ship things cheaply. Sometimes, that brings some light political banter into play. I can tolerate some of this if a good deal is waiting at the end. Also, given certain national circumstances, should it be needed, it may be a good idea to hord lumber. But that is a concept already familar to many of us. How many woodworkers have their own barn in which they keep wonderful boards? They have no idea of what to use it for but they could not resist in buying it. I know that given certain political instabilities right now, I will be hording some nice hard wood for myself. Again, my skin is thick enough to withstand some politcal bantering if there is a nice plank of figured curly maple or ribbon mahagony or super fleck white oak at the end of the bantering.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    ... besides it's hard to keep up on a post that has more than 12 replies...
    Look under "UserCP", "Edit Options", "Thread Display Options": one of the choices is "Latest First". Makes a world of difference...unless of course you come into a thread really late .

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Again, my skin is thick enough to withstand some politcal bantering if there is a nice plank of figured curly maple or ribbon mahagony or super fleck white oak at the end of the bantering.
    Just as long as I don't end up seeing it from way too close up, moving way too fast.

I have to agree......

If we kept that stuff off SMC....we wouldn't have to police as many messages or threads.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Again, my skin is thick enough to withstand some politcal bantering if there is a nice plank of figured curly maple or ribbon mahagony or super fleck white oak at the end of the bantering.
    Look me up...I have plenty of curly, birdseye and the like....hord all you want

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vermeil
    After reading (I know, I could choose not to) all the posts regarding the price of drywall, oil, etc, I'd like to appeal to everyone to keep political discussions off SMC, or at least off the General Woodworking Forum.

Personally, I am politically active & a staunch ------- (you'll have to guess), but I don't come to this website for political insight or discussion. It always bothers me when threads such as that mentioned earlier morph into semi-political bash sessions. I'm as passionate as anyone about the issues facing our contry and world, but I come to SMC to learn about, share & discuss woodworking, not to get my dander raised by people making blanket statements about political issues that obviously will bring dissagreement from at least 50% of the SMC members (OK, deep breath). Lamenting the cost of drywall or oil is fine. Placing political blame for these price hikes is for talk radio.

There's enough stress in all our lives, especially with the modern 24 hour news media. Lets do ourselve's a favor and not add to people's stress here.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Leave it to a ------- to start a thread like this!!

Keith