Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's keep politics off SMC

Being one of "the" posters in the afore mentioned thread (drywall) - I found the replies to be mostly non-political and a great general discussion on economics. If I offended anyone I assure you that was not my intention. But having reread all the replies once again, I really didn't see anyone slinging mud or calling names - just lots of insight from different folks across many states. Really one of the better threads I've posted on.

Still - I will admit it has taken a turn (like a bad hurricane) away from woodworking. And it certainly doesn't have anything to do with Power Tools. So, that being said I'll refrain from posting further in that particular thread.

Have a great day,
    Keith Foster Carrera Farms

I don't post a lot here; I mostly come to the Creek in absorb mode. That being said, I think political posts are perfectly fine -- as long as y'all agree with my political point-of-view.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

I'll "vote" for limiting the posts to ww only.

I don't post very often either. (I'm exactly 9,817 behind Jim Becker) I hold very opinionated political views (voted straight Green Party in the last two elections). However, when I see posts on this site that get political, I immediately switch to threads like Terry Hatfield's BBQ thread to get a hoot, or gentleman Jim Becker's to get astute advice. For me it's meditative and stress reducing. (Although being retired, some might say I've no stress.) So, politic if you must, I respectfully decline.

John

Hi Folks,

Personally, I could care less if

a thread becomes political or not.

(without intentionally violating the TOS)

I am a big boy and have a democratic mouse.

One click voting.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson
    I am a big boy and have a democratic mouse.

One click voting.

Per
    My mouse is Independent....lol

I agree. In looking at other forums where it is allowed, it almost always gets, uh, heated.

I agree that we should keep politics off of SMC.

However, I wouldn't classify the thread "$9.63 Drywall " as a Political thread. Yes, there were a brief post with some political slant but the 99.9% of the posts were economic related and really did not violate the TOS. It strayed quite a bit but I don't think it should be label as a political thread. I actually learned a couple of things from it.

Cheers !!
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka
    I agree that we should keep politics off of SMC.

However, I wouldn't classify the thread "$9.63 Drywall " as a Political thread. Yes, there were a brief post with some political slant but the 99.9% of the posts were economic related and really did not violate the TOS.
    I beg to differ: economics is political, has been at least since Hoover, if not centuries before.

And for a lot of people, economics (AKA politics) is a major-league Religion.

You want to talk about where to get the best price on drywall? No problem.
    You want to talk (or rant) about why that price is so high? Problem.

I don't care if you kick me off

I'm voting for Pat Paulson.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Guerin
    I'm voting for Pat Paulsen.
    Uh, not that it necessarily makes him a bad candidate, but isn't he, like, dead?

(http://www.paulsen.com/)

I am in favor of political debate as long as you all agree with me.

I started reading the thread in question, (I did not read it all) but for what its worth. I only read one political comment and a lot of Big Business Commentary.

Right or wrong, those comments do not belong here either.

I love political debate, but not here at SMC.

JOE

Well, duh?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Uh, not that it necessarily makes him a bad candidate, but isn't he, like, dead?

(http://www.paulsen.com/)
    That makes him the best candidate of all
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Oh stop whining. who doesnt like a little controversy now and then? You might even change your viewpoint!

doesn't bother me. If I'm not interested in the thread, click