Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Issue of Mortise & Tenon Magazine

1st Issue of Mortise & Tenon Magazine

I received the first issue of Mortise & Tenon Magazine from Lee Valley yesterday. I am favorably impressed and read about half of it last night. It is not a publication for everyone though. It is entirely devoted to those of us who are interested in hand tool work, period furniture, and the intersection of scholarship and conservation with traditional pre-industrial woodworking. If I had to compare it to other publications they would be the annual SAPFM Journal, the SAPFM on-line newsletter, and the Chipstone Foundation's annual publication American Furniture. Of note to us here, there is a nice book review by our own Zach Dillinger.

If you are interested in period furniture, hand tool work, and furniture history and conservation, I highly recommend getting a copy and finding out for yourself. I am excited to hope that future issues live up to a great start.

Of particular interest was an interview with Charles Hummel that announced an updated, expanded, and revised edition of his book With Hammer in Hand which will be out some time this year. It is the story of the Dominy family of Long Island and their restored workshop which is at Winterthur. This book has been out of print for over 40 years and I can't wait to get a copy since there is a huge amount of new information about their clocks and furniture.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 03-04-2016 at 9:45 AM. Reason: Addenda
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I don't have anything to say that is so elegant and well sorted as Dave's post, but I also received my copy of this publication and would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in woodworking of any variant. Plenty to learn from these articles even if you build bird houses on a CNC, but as Dave said, it's 100% geared towards period work with hand tools. The pictures are incredible and the writing is top notch as well. I'm really enjoying it!

+1 to that, Dave, and I'm pretty wholly a neophyte to everything hand tools, let alone lofty things like conservation and period furniture.

As a beginner (albeit one with a strong academic bent), I really find M&T to be totally worth the money. It has many heartening sentiments, not least of which is the regularly drummed you're not a machine, so aiming for machine-like S4S is likely silly—not a unique thought, but still reassurance I regularly need. Another (totally not unique) sentiment is that this hand tool woodworkery thing isn't arcane magic. Joshua Klein's explanation of recreating a period piece is kinda fun, and reading how related scholarship has adapted and expanded is surprisingly engaging. Plus, since I live five minutes from Winterthur, M&T hits home.

In other words, if you're a beginner, like me, don't shy away from the periodical. Considering its focused-but-wide scope, M&T is bound to have something for you.

Blog Entries
    I am waiting for my copy to show up.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

It's worth the wait. Simply outstanding, and I predict Issue 2 will be even better
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I see it is available online as a download. I am very tempted but the physical item does sound like it is worth having even if I have to pay international shipping. I haven't bought a physical book or mag for years.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Chris, I might be mistaken, but I thought Henry Eckert down your way was carrying them.

Thanks for the heads up Patrick, $39AUD from several stockists here in Oz. I thought it was an in house publication of LV.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I see it is available online as a download. I am very tempted but the physical item does sound like it is worth having even if I have to pay international shipping. I haven't bought a physical book or mag for years.

Download? Where, where?

A link would be helpful. Are we talking about this? If so, they indicate there is no digital version.

http://mortiseandtenonmag.com/pages/about-us

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...18&cat=51&ap=1

Hover over the green tick next to the yellow cart and it says online available.
    Chris

I think that just means you can order a copy online (as opposed to going to a retail store and picking it up in person). The same symbols shows up next to their hand tools.

I've always wanted a digital LV plane!

I'm really sitting on the fence with this magazine. I like the working methods and tools of preindustrial times, but I don't typically like 18th century furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    I've always wanted a digital LV plane!
    That made me laugh. Seriously though, if anybody has been able to find a download, please speak up. I would prefer that if it is an option.

My copy arrived as well; I got a chuckle seeing the included wood shavings-nice and creative touch. The magazine is quite nice, high quality and clearly much time, energy and thought (along with a lot of heart and soul) went into this magazine. Articles have more depth than a typical FW or PWW magazine. I would consider this a "coffee table" magazine, though that is not its editors intention. Highly recommended for any woodworker who appreciates quality.