Thread: Steam resistant finish repair

Steam resistant finish repair

I am hoping someone else has dealt with this before. I need to repair an area of poly-finished kitchen cabinet that is damaged by steam from the dishwasher. I have read the threads on heat resistant finishes (not much help), but this steam damage seems like a more difficult problem. They won't replace or move the dishwasher. Any thoughts welcome. The steam has stripped the finish down to bare wood.

washer.jpg

I'd be looking at why steam is getting out in that particular spot as much as repairing the damage to the wood. If the dishwasher seals properly that shouldn't happen. The only finish damage I've seen is above the door, for those who like to open the door immediately after the cycle is complete "so that things can dry better".

John

John its from a small vent in the door that looks like it doing what its supposed to do. I can possibly squeeze in something to deflect it, so thats a good tip.

Stan, I guess it makes sense that you need a vent somewhere for the hot air/steam that is created during the wash cycle. Seems like a poor choice to put it there, though. Perhaps you can plug this path and create another somewhere where it won't damage the finish.

John