Thread: Scraper Tang Length

Scraper Tang Length

I got a bad catch while using one of my scrapers (1 3/8" wide) to the extent that the handle cracked (low end tool - Benjamin Best). I can turn another handle for it but am concerned that maybe the length of the tang (if too short) was partly the reason for the handle cracking. The tang is 2" long. Is that the usual length for a tang on a scraper? Thanks.

Both of my Thompson scrapers have 3" tangs. I can picture a short tang cracking a handle with a hard catch.

Hmm, all of my scrapers have 2 inch tangs, or at least I thought so. My Thompsons are all in wood handles so I can't pull them out and check, but my D Way, and my Big Ugly ones have 2 inch tangs. All of my gouges are made to seat at about 2 inches in. Did the ferule split as well, or did the handle wood split at an angle across the handle? That would mean they didn't use straight grained wood, which is important. Is the tang square, or rectangular, or tapered? Is it in a round hole? All of these can contribute to it being weak.

Here is a link to a clip I did on scraper handles, well skews too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HCjFdcfyaQ

robo hippy

If you are going to make your own handles put a c clamp on the tang as a heat sink and weld on a extension to what length you think you would like, build the handle to correspond. piece o cake

Edward, I don't believe that the tang is the issue, most tools of this type that have a 2" tang. The issue is, the "bad catch" that you mentioned, it had to be a severe catch to break the handle. It might have been a defective handle, how much use had the scraper seen?
    Len
    Last edited by Len Mullin; 03-04-2016 at 8:13 PM.

Len - My scrapers don't get much use so I don't think it was a matter of repeated insults to loosen or weaken the handle over time.

Another possible cause for breaking is hanging out way too far off the tool rest. 3 inches maybe, 4 is getting risky for anything but the lightest whisper cuts, and for sure, not for any kind of roughing.

robo hippy

I don't have the BB scraper, however I do have 3 BB gouges. One of the handles cracked/split not because of use but how it was made or the wood used. Looking at the other BB handles I am replacing all of them. I also have other higher end tools that I am going to replace the handles. Reed is right about the overhang.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Sounds like the BB handles are poor quality, but having the scraper too far over the tool rest may have been a contributing factor as well. I think I'll create a new handle and proceed with ample tool support.

I have a few BB tools. The handles feel like very lightweight wood. I feel much more vibration transfered through the handle than in my home made handles.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!