Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jnats

Jnats

After all these years of always going back to Ark Oil Stones as my goto honing and finishing stones. These times they are a-changin', I've mostly made the transition to Jnats for honing and finishing. As with all things wood and especially with all things sharpening....YMMV. When sharpening I try to look past shinny and instead look at the final scratch pattern and the edge produced. Honing and finishing on Jnats give me the best I've been able to see of both and I've been like a country song with sharpening stones, I've danced with most of the pretty girls.

The photo is of three chisels, the two outer chisels were honed and finished on Jnats, the middle chisel was honed and finished on Sigma Power Ceramic stones. You may be able to see the difference in the Jigane between the chisels. The light on the left chisel obscured the Jigane but it is almost exactly the same as the chisel on the right. What you can not see is the scratch pattern, while the Power Ceramic sharpened chisel out shines the Jnats it does not have as fine a scratch pattern.

The Jnats work beautifully on Western chisels as well, here is a AI chisel next to a Japanese chisel both finished on Jnats.

BTW, I finally pulled the trigger and have a Nakayama Asagi polishing stone on the way from So.

ken

P.S. Do not, I repeat do not go down the Jnat road if you ever plan to retire.

I'm afraid my strategy of finding cool tools for cheap at thrift stores and yard sales means it will be a loooong time until I can play with those kinds of rocks....

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    After all these years of always going back to Ark Oil Stones as my goto honing and finishing stones. These times they are a-changin', I've mostly made the transition to Jnats for honing and finishing. As with all things wood and especially with all things sharpening....YMMV. When sharpening I try to look past shinny and instead look at the final scratch pattern and the edge produced. Honing and finishing on Jnats give me the best I've been able to see of both and I've been like a country song with sharpening stones, I've danced with most of the pretty girls.

The photo is of three chisels, the two outer chisels were honed and finished on Jnats, the middle chisel was honed and finished on Sigma Power Ceramic stones. You may be able to see the difference in the Jigane between the chisels. The light on the left chisel obscured the Jigane but it is almost exactly the same as the chisel on the right. What you can not see is the scratch pattern, while the Power Ceramic sharpened chisel out shines the Jnats it does not have as fine a scratch pattern.

The Jnats work beautifully on Western chisels as well, here is a AI chisel next to a Japanese chisel both finished on Jnats.

BTW, I finally pulled the trigger and have a Nakayama Asagi polishing stone on the way from So.

ken

P.S. Do not, I repeat do not go down the Jnat road if you ever plan to retire.

Blog Entries
    Awesome, glad to see that he got back to you. Now I'm in the queue, lol, waiting on a stone.

Just fair warning, the Nakayama is also awesome for sushi knives. My yanagi-ba can cut a hanging hair and salmon fillet just parts without even a hint of effort.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Oh, that way madness lies;
    Let me shun that;
    No more of that.

Ken,
    I don't recognize the word/term "Jnats". Is it some kind of natural stone from Japan? I'm sorry. I just don't know. Thanks for teaching me.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Fred,

I don't intend to speak on Ken's behalf, but Jnat is short hand for Japanese Natural Stone. It's not in reference a specific type of stone, but to all sharpening stones which come from the Japanese mines.

They have characteristics which cause them to become addictive. The main characteristic is that you think you can stop at one, but before you know it you have five or ten and want 'just one more'.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 05-17-2016 at 7:22 AM.

I thought about getting into Jnats, but decided on a crack habit instead. It's cheaper and less addictive.

Seriously, I get better results than that from my Sigma Powers. Is it possible you had cross-contamination or didn't spend enough time on the polisher? (13K I presume?).

Also there are diminishing returns. I have 0.5 um and 0.1 um (~20K and ~100K grit respectively, using a "Sigma-compatible" scale where 10K is 1um) diamond lapping films and paste, and the 0.1 um abrasives give unbelievably fine, striation-free edges under the 'scope. The only problem is that it doesn't translate to a noticeable difference when working wood, so I almost never go beyond 0.5 um and seldom beyond 1 um.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 05-17-2016 at 2:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Fred,

I don't intend to speak on Ken's behalf, but Jnat is short hand for Japanese Natural Stone. It's not in reference a specific type of stone, but to all sharpening stones which come from the Japanese mines.

They have characteristics which cause them to become addictive. The main characteristic is that you think you can stop at one, but before you know it you have five or ten and want 'just one more'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Ken,
    I don't recognize the word/term "Jnats". Is it some kind of natural stone from Japan? I'm sorry. I just don't know. Thanks for teaching me.
    Fred
    Fred,

Sorry to take so long to answer but I spent the morning in the Sim trying to pay for my new jones . Brian gave a better answer than I would have anyway.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    I'm afraid my strategy of finding cool tools for cheap at thrift stores and yard sales means it will be a loooong time until I can play with those kinds of rocks....
    Just bring some of your cool, cheap tools over and you can play with my pretty rocks. BTW, they are pretty.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I thought about getting into Jnats, but decided on a crack habit instead. It's cheaper and less addictive.

Seriously, I get better results than that from my Sigma Powers. Is it possible you had cross-contamination or didn't spend enough time on the polisher? (13K I presume?).

Also there are diminishing returns. I have 0.5 um and 0.1 um (~20K and ~100K grit respectively, using a "Sigma-compatible" scale where 10K is 1um) diamond lapping films and paste, and the 0.1 um abrasives give unbelievably fine, striation-free edges under the 'scope. The only problem is that it doesn't translate to a noticeable difference when working wood, so I almost never go beyond 0.5 um and seldom beyond 1 um.
    Patrick,

I answered your post but it is lost somewhere where SMC hides posts never to be found. A shorter answer and not as well worded: X-contamination is always possible but I think not. I'm not a polish guy so maybe not. I do not like the way the jigane looks off the Sigma stones and to my 10X eye the Jnats give a scratch pattern that is pleasing.

ken

Fred,

I gotcha. Thanks for explaining Brian (and Ken)! I think I'd better avoid those.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Patrick,

One of the goals a Japanese natural stone is ease of use. They are easy to build a slurry, dont have the same 'stiction' as many synthetics, dont require constant flattening and are otherwise very nice to use.

I can cut a hanging hair off a Nakayama asagi or Shinden suita and some light stropping. That's well beyond what's really required for woodworking, so even then we can search further yet for what meets the demands of woodworking and gets the edge a little faster. I'm generally not thrilled with the edge off of a 6k synthetic, but an equivalent natural stone manages to get a wonderful edge.

Blog Entries
    Patrick,

One of the goals a Japanese natural stone is ease of use. They are easy to build a slurry, dont have the same 'stiction' as many synthetics, dont require constant flattening and are otherwise very nice to use.

I can cut a hanging hair off a Nakayama asagi or Shinden suita and some light stropping. That's well beyond what's really required for woodworking, so even then we can search further yet for what meets the demands of woodworking and gets the edge a little faster. I'm generally not thrilled with the edge off of a 6k synthetic, but an equivalent natural stone manages to get a wonderful edge.
    Darn you, Brian. That's like smoking in front of someone who is trying to quit.

I bought a grab bag of cutoffs that had a natural stone in it and the feel is amazing. The slurry is very fine and has a different quality to it from a synthetic. I had hoped a trip to Japan was in my near future, but the cost is just too high. I will eventually take the plunge. I decided to back off for a while on stones. I need a knife grinding belt sander amongst other things, such as Petra's education, but I may buy a natural stone soon.

By the way, I hate the term "Jnats." It sounds like a sporting event. "Hey, are you going to the Jnats?" "No, tickets were too high; I'm just going to watch them on TV this year."

Blog Entries
    So true, they're just as hard to quit.

Not to be even more of an enabler, but if you are making knives you may find them handy, but different stones than those you might like for woodworking. I used to make knives as a teenager and used sandpaper and wooden blocks to take a knife from roughly ground to a fine polish. Doing it again I would probably use a series of natural stones. Good thing is that the rough ones are fairly cheap.

There is a good reason why I haven't visited japan....I'd never leave with my wallet intact.

So true, they're just as hard to quit.

Not to be even more of an enabler, but if you are making knives you may find them handy, but different stones than those you might like for woodworking. I used to make knives as a teenager and used sandpaper and wooden blocks to take a knife from roughly ground to a fine polish. Doing it again I would probably use a series of natural stones. Good thing is that the rough ones are fairly cheap.

There is a good reason why I haven't visited japan....I'd never leave with my wallet intact.
    Brian,

It's only money. To paraphrase Fabulous Frank of the Furry Freak Brothers...."Jnats will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no Jnats". Or something to that effect, my memory is a little hazy.

ken