Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with VFD switch

Need help with VFD switch

I have a VFD on my bandsaw, and am currently using a standard household switch to turn it on and off. The VFD uses a simple 12V signal for the remote ON/OFF. I'd like to upgrade that one to a paddle style switch (the big red paddle that's easier to hit ICE), and also use one on my table saw that has a VFD. I ordered 2 of these but they don't work:
    http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D416...=paddle+switch
    It only works if the on button is held down. My understanding is that it's a DPST switch, and I think I need a SPST switch - is that correct? Can any one suggest a switch that will do the job?
    Thanks in advace

I might have jumped the gun on posting this question before researching thoroughly. Just found some great videos by Jack Forsberg where he describes motor controls and switches. Looks like I have a momentary switch and need a maintain switch. I'll keep researching but please make any suggestions.

The fact that you verified that the switch works in your application when you hold the green start button down, indicates that indeed it is a normally open contact that remains closed only while it is pushed.

This is standard for normal industrial start-stop circuits. The red button will be just the opposite. It will be a normally closed contact that is opened when you push it.

To use this paddle style switch you will need to employ an interposing relay. The wiring hookup is standard. I cannot draw it here but in words, what happens is you wire things so that when you push the green button it energies a relay, and a contact of that relay closes across the green button contacts, and the relay keeps itself energized. The red button is connected in series with the relay coil, and when it is pushed the relay is de-energized, and then waits for someone to push the green button again.

In the meantime, in your application a contact of the relay would be used to energize something, in this case it would be the input point of your VFD which tells the VFD to start.

Not difficult to accomplish with a relay. Not sure if you can make this happen with your VFD without a relay, unless it would have separate start & stop inputs...which is possible but I am not sure how likely...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

You can use that switch with any VFD that I have ever seen. We'll assume that you have the manual. The VFD will have 2 or 3 modes: 2 wire mode is what you used with the light switch. The second mode is 3 wire: three terminals on the VFD, call them A B and C are such that momentary contact of A to B starts the motor (if it is off), and the motor will stay on as long as A and C are connected. The switch has a momentary normally open contact (A to B) and a normally closed contact for A to C. The third wiring type is when the VFD is connected to more sophisticated electronic controls like in a commercial HVAC system.

The three wire approach is preferred for something like a saw. Say that power went out while you were running it or a fuse blew. With the 2 wire system, if you forget to turn off the switch then the saw will start up on its own when power is restored. With the 3 wire it won't, which is much safer. You won't find 2 wire in a commercial shop.

I have my dust collector on a VFD using the 2 wire approach, with multiple light switches around the shop. The switches are set up exactly the same as a multiple switches for a light. I can turn the dust collector on or off from any of them, which is very handy. I used some leftover phone wire (the red/green/blue/black stuff found in old houses). But like I said, this is not the preferred way to run something that has a blade.

Terry T.

I just looked at the Amazon link you posted. It certainly doesn't sound like a momentary contact switch....

So D4160 is actually written on the switch?

According to the manual it appears it should operate like a light switch.

http://cdn2.grizzly.com/manuals/d4160_m.pdf

I have a couple of switches on starter equipped machines that I would like to have the switch you have but the manual leads me to believe you were sent the wrong thing. If you can make these switches work you will have a safer machine. I am very curious what is actually written on the switches.

That is a magnetic switch and for 120V (not the 12V control signals of your VFD).

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    That is a magnetic switch and for 120V (not the 12V control signals of your VFD).
    Guessing it is not a mag switch but just a pair of momentary switches typically used with a contactor. Its rating wont matter for your 12V setup as it is rated more than enough for what you need it for.

If that case you need to wire a couple contacts from your VFD's with one of these switches and use the 12V on the vfd. Don't for get to program the VFD and tell it to start from a terminal and that the output is used for operating the VFD. Here is a quick google example of a fm50 vfd wired to a momentary NO/NC switch.

Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 03-08-2016 at 1:04 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks Mike, that helps a lot. I think I can make this work. Attached are pics of my VFD and switch FYI.

the description of the product says a "magnetic switch", which means it has coils that are to be energized to keep the contact; they might not work with the 12V as the are rated for 120V, hence the coils do not hold in the "On".

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I have a VFD on my bandsaw, and am currently using a standard household switch to turn it on and off. The VFD uses a simple 12V signal for the remote ON/OFF. I'd like to upgrade that one to a paddle style switch (the big red paddle that's easier to hit ICE), and also use one on my table saw that has a VFD. I ordered 2 of these but they don't work:
    http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D416...=paddle+switch
    It only works if the on button is held down. My understanding is that it's a DPST switch, and I think I need a SPST switch - is that correct? Can any one suggest a switch that will do the job?
    Thanks in advace

you will need 120 volts for that switch either from the common/white and one hot or a control voltage transformer 240 to 120 then a relay to switch the VFD control side.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-NEW-10A-...-/281925425943

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Square-D-907...QAAOSw8-tWWMzK

your switch would switch the coil 2 and 7 on the relay and 8 and 6 or 1 and 3 would switch the VDF in 2 wire control.
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 03-08-2016 at 1:19 PM.
    jack
    English machines

I tried wiring the switch as Mike suggested and got nothing.

would this work like a light switch (2 wire)?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AO2R8RP2MLB3M

This switch http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D415...61RQ7QB67E5RE8should do the trick if you want the paddle style. It is not magnetic

I do want the paddle, thanks for the suggestion!

To add to Terry and Mike.
    You will need to find the parameter on the VFD which selects the mode, 2 wire or 3 wire.
    Mike's wiring will not work if you do not have 3 wire set in the parameters.
    I cannot make out the model of your VFD from the picture
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.