Thread: turning an urn

turning an urn

i have a buddy who is slowly been eaten by cancer. He stopped in over the weekend and asked me turn him an urn. I have looked but not found the info I need.I did find lots of info on how to size a box but I am not up on my math so here is what I am after. If anyone has ever turned a traditional urn for a 200 lb person I am wondering if you could help me with a few measurements, How big at the bottom? How big at the widest point? How tall? And how big of an opening? I plan on segmenting the urn.
    thank you
    Al

Understand that the volume of cremains is based more on skeletal size. A 6' tall, 200lb man will produce more cremains than a 5' 7", 200lb man. But, more to your question, I think you will find a vase shaped urn with inside measurements of 7" X 10" would be sufficient. Typically, one cubic inch per pound for an average build, or approx. 14.5 cups.

My understanding is that the industry uses a standard urn size of 225 cubic inches. I do not know what they do if there are more cremains than that...

Since the cremains consist of bones, teeth, and implants, they are pretty much based on the skeletal size, but bone density tends to be proportional to total body weight, so the one cubic inch per pound holds up fairly well.

I have made a few (3) and have a request for another. The dimensions John gave are quite good. If you figure the average diameter as about 5.5" then the average area would be 2.75x2.75x3.14 (radius squared times pi) = almost 24 sq in. Times 10 gives 240 cubic inches. The exact average would of course depend on the size of the base and shape of the vessel.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I failed to say that the 14.5 cups equal approx. 200 cubic inches. As to the opening, that depends on whether the funeral director intends to remove the cremains from the plastic bag they are delivered in from the crematorium. If he intends to "snake" the bag and cremains into the urn, then at least 1.5", but preferably more. It may be wise to speak with the funeral home.

Speaking from my experience working as the chairman of a cemetery I've found there are many different sized urns. I've also found sometimes the family places some of the cremains in small pieces of jewelry, several smaller urns and or scatters some of the ashes.

The advice above from John is spot on. Speak to the parties involved. This is something we don't typically think about or care to discuss. There comes a time for all of us. Your friend is very brave and extended you a great compliment.

Mike Mahoney has a very good video on Hollow Forms and Urns. You might want to place a WTB in the classifieds as I don't believe they are in production.

Doug

There is a simple technique for visualizing the size needed. One cubic inch of volume is needed per pound of body weight. A standard one cup measure equals approx. 14.4 c.i. Divide the body weight by 14.5 to get the number of cups needed. Then measure out an equivalent amount of rice and put it in a plastic bag. This will represent the minimum volume needed. It can be massaged into the approximate shape you are looking for and you will have a good idea of the size vessel you will need to make.
    David DeCristoforo

I made an urn about 18 months ago, it was a lot of work but came out very nice. I started a few threads about it and got a lot of good information see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...on-Urn-Request and http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Urn-Questions and http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nally-Finished

One thing to consider is how to seal the urn - I used a fairly simple ABS black plastic pipe fitting, as detailed here: http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...s_for_urns.pdf

Thanks everyone for your responses. I like the idea of putting the rice in a plastic bag. I was planning on using the ABS threads idea. I am not sure if it shoud be 2 3 or 4"
    now I just have to find a place in small town Saskatchewan that sells fairly big bags of rice.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by allan kuntz View Post
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I like the idea of putting the rice in a plastic bag. I was planning on using the ABS threads idea. I am not sure if it shoud be 2 3 or 4"
    now I just have to find a place in small town Saskatchewan that sells fairly big bags of rice.

Al
    I usually use 2 inch ABS

Sounds like an excuse to go to Prince Albert to Saskatoon
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Allan,
    My MIL just passed away last Thursday night,
    I was thinking I should make one for her, I'm glad you posted this.
    Thoughts and prayers for your friend.
    Rick

12. I found this website helpful when designing an urn for my mom: http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcul...s/cylinder.php

i made one urn and some keepsakes using weight at the time of passing. I should have had enough volume, but did not realize that after the illness takes its toll on the body, what remains is high ash content. So my advice would be to do the math with a persons healthy weight for the height or the industry standard.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.