Thread: Oneway Easy Core laser

Oneway Easy Core laser

This is so simple I almost feel guilty posting it at all.
    Like a lot of you I have the Oneway Easy Core System and I really love it.
    I'm not here to bash any of the others as I'm certain some of the others are as good or better but this is the System I use.
    Before purchasing it I did a little research and decided it was the one for me, simple, robust, easy to set up etc. (emphasis on the simple!)
    I watch the video on the Oneway web site and made the spacers as recommended. It all worked just fine but because I use various chucks and don't always want the cutter pivot centred on the blank I was forever trying to guess exactly where the cut would go and was always a little concerned about going through the bottom as a result, I usually wound up with a thicker bottom than I wanted.
    A few days ago I was doing some coring and decided it was time to do something about the situation.
    I am now using a laser (actually the one that came with my Kobra) to show me exactly where the cut will be throughout the whole activity. It was a simple set-up for me but a similar system could easily be made by anyone. I'm not too sure how it would work on other coring systems but I suspect it could be easily adapted to them as well.
    Here's a photo of the one I now use
    .IMG_2210.jpg
    Here's a shot of a mockup I made from wood.
    IMG_2231.jpg
    Sooo simple and easy to make.
    If anyone is interested I have a little more information on my blog, which can be seen at
    https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress...ore-laser-aid/
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

The Woodcut coring system has some thing similar. The bolt, that acts as the pivot point/center for the blade has about a 1/4 inch hole drilled into it, and the laser post has a 1/4 bolt coming out the bottom. Pretty similar to the set up you have. Both options are at least as good as the plywood spacers.

robo hippy

Peter, that's a pretty good idea / setup.
    I also have made a set of the spacer plates, but they are sized for when I am rough turning wet blocks so for the #1 and #2 knives it leaves me with a 1" bottom, for the #3 knife I have it set for a 1 1/4" bottom and with the #4 knife a 1 1/2" bottom.
    Lately I've been coring the acacia burl and with burl I turn my pieces to finish while still wet so I core them much thinner, basically as thin as I feel comfortable. Now I most always like to work on the outside bowl first when coring ( the money bowl ) so I am coring from the largest to smallest. Prior to coring the block I will finish turn the outside shape first then core, now if I've turned an ogee shape it becomes a bit of a guessing game as to wall thickness as you progress into your coring, bottom thickness is easy to determine ( I do this by making a reference line from the chuck face on the lathe bed and have predetermined dimensions marked on my knives taken from the base of my clamp block to the chuck face reference marked on the lathe bed ) but sidewall thickness not so easy so it becomes a bit of a guessing game. Your solution would definitely give the opportunity to be able to gage the sidewall thickness. One more item to make now and so simple, thanks for the tip.
    John

Thanks for the very helpful info. Just got a One Way Easy Coring System last week and have watched all of the videos I could find. In addition to the excellent one by John Spitters there is another on Youtube titled "Creating Nested Bowls by Mike Guyre." Mike utilizes a laser attachment made of PVC that appears to be similar to your wooden one.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Just my luck, when I think I have invented a better mouse trap someone beat me to it! LOL
    Hopefully though this idea will help others as it helps me.
    Robo, because I use various chucks I would need to make a set of spacers for each one thus this single solution is for me a much better solution. It also helps if you wan to make a much shallower bowl than the typical by utilizing a large cutter on a smaller blank.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Hey John. It's nice to hear that this idea just may help you with your coring. I too turn the largest first and unless I want a 'typical' bowl shape I was holding my cutters over the pivot point to guess how thick the sides and bottom. I don't have to guess any longer.
    Pete

Peter, you did invent the better mouse trap and since you were the first to post it on a public forum, you have to get credit for it. Besides, a wooden laser attachment looks a lot better on a lathe than some bathroom pipes.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Hey Bill! Thanks for the vote of confidence. My bathroom was being used when I made this or there might have been some pipes int he design. LOL
    Pete