Thread: Etageres in progress

Etageres in progress

I am making five of them for our office room. I've no imagination; these are copies of a piece offered by Ethan Allen.

The doors are made and not shown here. The last parts made were the tops, wood gotten yesterday morning, then machined, glued up, etc.

Fitting the tops was tedious, because the cases are not precisely square, nor are they exactly the same in their W x D. So the router and a pattern bit got used, plus the tablesaw, plus hand planes, but all turned out well.

Tomorrow I will go at everything with sanding blocks and sponges, plus scrapers, to ease more edges, polish up some spots, and hit the areas where glue squeeze got cleaned up. I should be ready for laying on a coat of sizing in a couple days. My "sizing" is just 1:8 white glue and water, and helps control blotch. After the size, I will dye all with a red-brown dye, one of the powders that dissolves in water or alcohol.

After that it will be GF Seal-A-Sell, one light coat lightly brushed on, then sand lightly, then three coats of wipe-on GF Arm-R-Seal Satin.

The closeup of the top corner shows how out of level my shop floor is. Look down the line.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gene Davis; 03-08-2016 at 9:15 PM.

Wow, big project. Nice work and design. I like the chamfer on the top...nice alternative to traditional crown or molding.

Very nicely done. Looking forward to seeing the finish. These are going to look great in your office. Are these made from red maple?

It's time to finish these things. All cutting is done, all the work spaces have been blown out, swept, vacuumed, and vacuumed again.

Everything is finish-sanded.

Each unit, one through five, is fitted with its own cap and pair of doors, and the parts are marked in hidden places so they'll go together after finish. And the finish will be first an anti-blotching film of 1:8 white glue to water (doors and caps already done) then a red-brown dye, followed by a seal coat and finally three or four coats of wiped on PU, satin.

Made with solid cherry and mdf-core cherry plywood. The ply parts were CNC cut by a jobber.
    Attached Images Attached Images