Thread: DeWalt GR-49 Radial Arm Saw

DeWalt GR-49 Radial Arm Saw

I've been looking around for a 24" cross cut capable RAS and found a model GR-49 running on single phase.
    It is 7 hours away so I thought I'd ask about it here before the over night trip.
    Is this machine one of the solid DeWalts capable for accurate cuts holding the alignment over time?
    I think it is a 3Hp - single phase ??
    14" blade ~
    Are parts available for it if need rebuilding?
    Any known problems to look for?
    Any idea how much it weighs?
    Thanks for any input!

Have you contacted DeWalt?

There is a forum called OWWM.ORG.

Do a google search for Delphi DeWalt Radial Arm Saw Forum, helpful folks and lots of info.
    I think the GR's were built in the mid to late 40's, very solid, industrial type RAS...very heavy too, #700 + lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Have you contacted DeWalt
    The Company that sells yellow tools today has no practical relation to the company that made radial arm saws for decades. OWWM or the Delphi group are fantastic resources, as is Wolfe Machinery; http://www.wolfemachinery.com/

If the ways in the arm are bad the saw they are pretty much impossible to have machined flat again. If the ways are good you should be able to align everything fairly easily and make a good saw out of it. You should never transport a radial arm saw without supporting the weight of the motor. Take a couple of 8" long or so 4" x 4"'s and put them under the motor then lower the arm down until the weight of the motor is off of the arm. Most of the saws I have seem with bad ways are due to transporting the saw without supporting the motor.

Thanks for the information. I'm considering if the saw is worth the trip, even though the owner says it is in very good condition.

There's a company, The Original Saw Company, in the US who manufactures similar radial arm saw today using Dewalt's old design. I'm not sure if parts (if you need any) are available for the older Dewalt.
    http://www.originalsaw.com/1416heavyduty.php
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 03-10-2016 at 7:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    There's a company, The Original Saw Company, in the US who manufactures similar radial arm saw today using Dewalt's old design. I'm not sure if parts (if you need any) are available for the older Dewalt.
    http://www.originalsaw.com/1416heavyduty.php

Oh wow! That is really cool! I wish they had their prices on their site.

Their Prices Are As Follows

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    Oh wow! That is really cool! I wish they had their prices on their site.
    Their basic saw: An Arm

Their next saw: An Arm and A Leg

ha! I say that simply to say that their tools are very fine and priced accordingly.

There are some online prices available at dealers if you look for them.

I'd love to have one, though... if I had the room. Just looking at a tool so well made is satisfying.
    Athens, AL

If the Dewalt doesn't work out, besides Original Saw, you might consider OMGA. They, and Original, make the best RASs today. Their saws end up in industrial shops, and are primarily three phase. I considered an OMGA at one point, with a rotary phase converter, but ended up with an older Delta turret.

Eeek. YEah, $4,200 for their entry level saw. I think I'll just go vintage.

There are I believe 4 Dewalt RAS selling in my area next week at auction. A lumber yard is going out of business. Two are listed as 3 phase and 2 as single phase. I don't have a need for one but it is a shame to see them possibly be scrapped too.

The GR series is one of the old solid ones. Take a look at vintagemachinery.org to see some pictures.
    As said earlier, the only serious thing that goes wrong is wearing out the arm, which happens when one was used for short cutoffs day after day and so only went through part of the travel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    Isn't that saw nice! Good thing I don't still live in Massachusetts or I'd be setting up a surprise vacation trip! Too far from here though I did make a run to Denver one time for an Inca jointer planer. Sooner or later I'll have to beat that record!