Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: emails from unknown senders ....

Some new bot-nets came online recently and the uptick of nefarious, attachment laden emails (many of them with CryptoLock type treats), has bee huge. Don't open them for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There is a drastic climb in effort via email for phishing attacks to gather more current info for valid accounts. Do NOT click on "unsubscribe" in most cases due to this only confirming a valid and working email address. I operate on the rule that if I don't know you and I'm not expecting an email from you? The message gets deleted. Plain and simple.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I started blocking IP ranges. Surprisingly, US servers are the worst... they're set up as bots and spam the crap out of folks. When I started blocking certain ranges (CA and NJ hold two of my worst offenders), the spam dropped from 100s/day to a handful/month.
    Dan,

What OS do you use, what mail app, and how do you determine and then block IPs?

I have opened the mail to find IPs. Is that what you do?

I use Thunderbird as an email client. Both it and Firefox will, when hovering over a link, show the url associated with the link without activating anything. We then forward anything claiming to be from Chase, Bank of America, Verizon or whoever to their email abuse/fraud address. I often add a note about it being too bad that a Fortune 100 company can't afford their own email service but must use one in Russia, Eastern Europe or China.

Our corporate email server includes a subscription to a continuously updated list of bad IPs. At least two thirds of all of all of our email comes from IPs on that list. Those emails are immediately rejected.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    Dan,

What OS do you use, what mail app, and how do you determine and then block IPs?

I have opened the mail to find IPs. Is that what you do?
    All blocking is done at the ISP level... since my mail comes in through my web hosting service, I merely set up a list that does not allow those IPs access. If someone were to surf to my website using one of those IPs, they would get a "cannot connect to website" error. Mail from those IPs gets bounced back as if my server doesn't exist, so they can't even collect my emails as being active just from not getting bounced back.

As new junk mail gets through, I look at the originating IP and add it to the list. As I said, I'm down to a few junk emails/month. It is probably the lowest level I've seen since setting up my website 10 years ago.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    There is a drastic climb in effort via email for phishing attacks to gather more current info for valid accounts. Do NOT click on "unsubscribe" in most cases due to this only confirming a valid and working email address. I operate on the rule that if I don't know you and I'm not expecting an email from you? The message gets deleted. Plain and simple.
    I use thunderbird email client and it seems to work well after it has been "trained" to reject bad/suspect email. I never see the email as it goes automatically into the junk folder which empties when thunderbird is closed. My rule of thumb is to delete any email that is requesting info. If you think an account has some kind of issue then login in via the normal method and see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    I use thunderbird email client and it seems to work well after it has been "trained" to reject bad/suspect email.
    I totally disagree... I love TB (what I use), but it's quite dumb in its methods of junk mail detection. Its basically using "same email" and "same image" detection. If you want even remotely useful detection/rejection, you have to spend a lot of time writing rules that look for specific titles, body text, etc. A properly built Bayesian filter would be 100x better, but for whatever reason they refuse to include one.

its a consumer grade email client but for my needs it works well.

I block all of those New top level domains. I.e. .top,.xyz,.download,. Etc. There must be a hundred of them an all I have ever got from any of them is spam
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    I block all of those New top level domains. I.e. .top,.xyz,.download,. Etc. There must be a hundred of them an all I have ever got from any of them is spam
    Interesting... don't think I've received a single spam message from any of them yet. Everything comes from a .com.