Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Through Dovetails for Drawers

Through Dovetails for Drawers

While completing the last drawer for the chest, it occurred to me to take a few photos.

I have described the process I take with through dovetails for drawers in pictures, in some detail (in lieu of a video). The pictorial is here ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...ovetails2.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek! Great tutorial.

Thanks Derek. I appreciate that!

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to document your process so thoroughly Derek. As always your work is clean and inspiring. This type of thread is so much better than debating the merits of various relatively similar rake and fleam angles or pros and cons of grinding wheels as compared to other options for hogging away material.

Thanks! You, sir, do wonderful work!

Very clean work indeed!

Thanks for the tutorial....great dovetails and great article.

Beautiful work, Derek.

Just one question, though: why do you prefer London dovetails?
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    .. Just one question, though: why do you prefer London dovetails?
    Because I think them elegant. In the same way that I go to the lengths required for using thin drawer sides with slips. They all add to a fine, delicate appearance (which is nevertheless very strong structurally). I believe that this aesthetic came to the fore around 1800. These fine dovetails are still considered de rigeur among high end furniture makers. One thing is for sure, they cannot be imitated by machines

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    One thing is for sure, they cannot be imitated by machines
    Not yet: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/38b6f0c4-e...#axzz42VdlODtI

But seriously, thanks for sharing this and the rest of your website, Derek. I regularly answer questions regarding technique with, "I'm pretty sure it's on Derek Cohen's blog."

That's fair. I figured it was either that or due to the English influence in Australia.

How thin are the drawer sides? I usually make drawers with 3/4" sides (or around 19mm). I find them a little chunky, but I wasn't ever sure where that line was from delicate and strong versus delicate and weak. I'm guessing that's where the slips help (for adding structural integrity when a rabbit would compromise integrity)?

By the way, I don't know if I've said or not, but your blog is a boon of information and great for ideas.
    Last edited by Adam Cruea; 03-10-2016 at 9:26 AM. Reason: Cleared things up, added a "thanks for the info"
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

tut tut, next time no more than a kerf's with at the top of those pins!
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

That's one heck of a nice wheel gauge,Derek. Is it manufactured,or did someone make it individually?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    That's fair. I figured it was either that or due to the English influence in Australia.

How thin are the drawer sides? I usually make drawers with 3/4" sides (or around 19mm). I find them a little chunky, but I wasn't ever sure where that line was from delicate and strong versus delicate and weak. I'm guessing that's where the slips help (for adding structural integrity when a rabbit would compromise integrity)?

By the way, I don't know if I've said or not, but your blog is a boon of information and great for ideas.
    Thanks Adam

The drawer sides are around 1/4" thick, at most a little under 3/8".

Australia certainly does take its lead from the UK.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    That's one heck of a nice wheel gauge,Derek. Is it manufactured,or did someone make it individually?
    Hi George

That was a limited edition by Veritas in stainless steel. They made a few for a short while. Cheap as chips. Absolute bargain .. and yet few noticed and made a grab. I got two of them ..

Regards from Perth

Derek