Thread: T/S fence

T/S fence

I have a shop fox fence (W2005) on my G1023SL table saw, and I set the fence on say 6" and lock the fence down and measure the distance again and it is 5 15/16. I have been adjusting the fence according to the manual but I cannot stop the fence from wondering when I lock it. Has anyone had this problem or any advice. Thank you in advance for any help you may have on this.

Try a different distance just in case there is something worn on the fence locking mechanism that is moving it when locking at that distance (long-shot).

I had that fence long ago so I don't recall the details of the install. Is the fence brand new?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Most T-Square format fences cog a bit when locked. This is the same frustration folks suffer in the router table that drives them (at least me) to a lift. the tablesaw fence (first a Biesemeyer and now the Saw Stop clone of one) has never bothered me. I often forget how long I have been using a DRO on the tablesaw; it makes one approach things differently . . . or maybe I'm just numb ;-)

At any rate, if you want to be able to sneak up on your setting and are not a fan of a DRO, the Vega fence is your answer. I wish they would update the pics on their website . . . It has a main lock and then a micro adjust that locks separately when you are happy.

The Vega does ride a round tube and I know some folks get heartburn over what can go wrong with that. I don't pay that much mind; if you can bend the round rail, you can probably bend a square one. For either one to bend you would have to be some kind of "wonder-boy" to do that kind of damage.

P.s. On my T-Square fences I pull back on the handle when positioning. This minimizes the play when locking down.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    On my Beismeyer fence, I apply light pressure to the lock down handle as I measure for a particular dimension to insure the glides are against the rail, which brings the fence to square before locking it down.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have been putting adjustable "studs" for lack of a better description on the near side of the "T" that you can tweak till the fence stays straight when being moved. Tighten them down till they drag, then back off just a hair. If you look in your Grizzly catalog you will see what I am talking about or look on line. Will post a link as soon as I find the right one. Just weld a 2" chunk of angle iron to each end of the "T" and tap for a 3/8 or1/2" plastic bolt. (Don't forget to remove the plastic pads on the fence before welding!)
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...-Series/G0715P
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 03-10-2016 at 6:14 PM.

I guess it's been a long time since I had to deal with such things. My Incra fence locks down every 1/32" with highly repeatable accuracy but I digress....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I think I may have this issue solved. I adjusted the fence to the point that it was tight against the rail, then the lock handle was way to tight, so I backed the adj screws off a quarter turn, the lock down handle was about right, and it seems to be holding the correct measurements.