Thread: table saw drive belts

table saw drive belts

I just found out the hard way that spare parts for my faithful Craftsman 10 inch table saw are hard to find.

The drive belts are no longer stocked by Craftsman and I wonder if any Creekers know of an alternative source. There are twin belts. They are roughly ten inches long, and carry longitudinal grooves on the inside driving surface.
    There is a label which is just about legible "Bando 106H QC" .

It would be a shame to junk this otherwise good saw, for want of a couple of little belts.

Suggestions on where to look for replacement belts (preferably in Canada) would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    John

Blog Entries
    I would suggest taking the belts to any industrial drive belt supply house. They may be able to find a belt that is right for the application. You might also need to change the drive pullies to get a new belt. Bear in mind that Sears did not manufacture Craftsman saws, parts like motors, belts, pullies were all purchased components from a supplier.

Is your belt like these?

Bando
    has a web site have you tried to contact them?
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-10-2016 at 6:18 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've heard of many people taking the broken belt into a local auto parts shop and finding an identical replacement there. In addition, you can look into the linked belts for table saws. I have one on my saw, and while it didn't seem to be a huge improvement over a normal belt, it certainly works well and didn't cost that much money to experiment and find out. On the plus side, the overall length is adjustable so you can make sure it fits your machine perfectly.

One of many linked belts out there:
    http://www.rockler.com/1-2-power-twist-plus-link-v-belt
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

A simple approach would be to Google search for the belt. I just did and there were some hits. It might work for you.

Thanks gents for your suggestions.
    I will follow up straight away.
    Funny, but I was yesterday unable to get Bando's website via my Google, but the link which Lee included worked perfectly today.

Thanks again
    John

Sears may not have them at your local store, but they do have them in stock. However at that price, you likely will want to look elsewhere anyway!

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part.../0009/316.html

7. Consider link belts.

Any decent automotive store or agriculture store is likely going to have a gage that the belt is placed on and then the correct size and width can be determined. I would also be surprised that this information isn't already available on line. It is safe to say that you have multiple options for belt replacement and Sears is probably the last one to use.

You can't use link belts in place of ribbed belts.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    You can't use link belts in place of ribbed belts.
    Bill

I missed the statement about the ribs earlier and Bill is correct. You still might be able to source it locally but here is and online source to look at too. They list the Sears part number as well so you can see if it crosses. It also says it fits a Ryobi BT 3100 so that may open some options for you.
    beltpalace.com/106h9.html

Hi John Shillabeer,

I think I fell upon the greatest belt vendor that has come a long in a long time this past fall.
    Listed below are the belt numbers and the prices I paid. Bobbie was great to deal with, and no minimum charge.The order came to $30.28
    plus s/h of 9.33.

Here is their web site: V Belt Supply acc't manager Robert Bobbie Bartell @ ext 102

Size For What Tool Quantity Price
    3L3210 Edger 2 3.94 7.88
    A45/4L470 W&H Molder 1 2.60 2.60
    3/8 X 29 SOK Blower 2 3.81 7.62
    3/8 X 35 SOK Blower 1 1.32 1.32
    3/8 X 33 Ed 2 1.82 3.64
    ½ X 35 Ed 2 4.93 7.22

Apparently they are a belt manufacturer. I must admit no claim or any relationship with this company. Just good service, good belts and good prices.
    One other thing, in as much as you mentioned that you needed a pair of belts,I would mention this to them. At one time you could buy what Gates used to call "a matched set of belts", I think now the best one can do is to get a pair of belts with the same batch number. I remembered a while back a friend and neighbor was going to finish his kitchen cabinets using my compressor to spray them. I guess he wasn't aware of the matched belts and bought two belts for me. One belt was shorter and it never did stretch enough to get the proper tension.

V Belt supply acc't manager Robert Bobbie Bartell ext 102

Good Luck.
    Ed

Search for Belt Palace online.