Thread: Angle Help Please

Angle Help Please

I am building a half scale model for a flag stand I am making for my military unit. The model is 24" across at the base and 18" at the top resulting in an 18" angle according to my angle gauge.

I am trying to cut the top so that it sets in from the top. The problem I am running into that I can't seem to figure out the angle that needs to be cut into the top so that it fits into the base neatly. I'm not sure if that is coming across clearly or not, I have attached a picture of the base.

I'm not quite clear on what you want to accomplish, but maybe something like one of these?:

Flag Base [1] 3-10-16.jpgFlag Base [2] 3-10-16.jpg

You also don't provide all the dimensions, so I can't confirm your angle calculation. I'm assuming your 18 degree angle means 18 degrees from vertical. (The compound miter angles to cut the miters would NOT be 18---but you already know that)

To get the top to "nest" into the base, you still need 18 degrees. It gets confusing, though, because the angle scale on most saws are set to read 90 degrees off. That is, a "0" cut on the saw scale is actually a 90 degree cut. A "1 degree" setting on the saw scale yields an 89 degree cut, and so on.

So to get an 18 degree cut, you would need to set the saw at 72 degrees, which is beyond the scale of the saw. The solution is to cut the piece standing vertically (which changes the cut by 90 degrees). You may find it useful to attach a sacrificial backer to your work piece in order to keep everything stable during the cut. You can use double-stick tape or screws or brads (but keep metal fasteners out of the path of the blade).

Flag Base [3] 3-10-16.jpg

Hope this helps

Thanks for the help, I had gotten as far the 72 degree but didn't make the leap to cutting the board vertically. I think I have it understood now.

chase I can't explain this very well, but if you cut a solid block of wood big enough to act as a guide, with the angles you want on one end and on one edge, you can use that block to set the compound angle with a miter gauge on your table saw. Takes some visualizing.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 03-12-2016 at 11:25 AM.